First Picanha

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KimberlyO

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
O'Fallon, MO
Folks on this forum were talking about how good Picanha's were, so we ordered one from Wild Fork. I asked how people had cooked them and decided to try smoking one for my first run at it and tried my best to follow the helpful instructions of tx smoker tx smoker . Two things I would have done differently; I misjudged the thickness of the fat cap and did not trim down to 1/4", and I would have sliced the meat cross-grain instead of with the grain. Overall, we REALLY enjoyed the meat, and understand now why people like it so much. I'm going to try direct grilling it in steaks next time per the advice of some of the other folks on the forum.

Right off the egg.

meat2.jpg

Sliced up

meat3.jpg

On the plate with prosciutto-wrapped scallops with rosemary sprigs (sounds fancy, huh?!?)

meat4.jpg

Thanks to the folks who responded to my call out for help in ideas for how to cook a Picanha. I really like this forum and all the helpful people and ideas. - Kim

Awesome! Great cook! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! The first couple cuts I did on mine were with the grain too😆 Luckily I caught it and switched! I’d also trimmed off all fat, next time I’ll leave some on. But awesome plate, fancy😆 Points!

Reactions: KimberlyO
tried my best to follow the helpful instructions of tx smoker tx smoker
I am honored, thank you.
I misjudged the thickness of the fat cap and did not trim down to 1/4"
No sin at all here. There is no set rule on trimming the fat cap. One thing I'd recommend is scoring the fat cap and trying to rub the spices into the cuts. This will help the flavors to get into the meat.
I would have sliced the meat cross-grain instead of with the grain
That is paramount for optimal tenderness. These are somewhat similar to tri tips as far as the grain pattern goes and it's always best to slice across the grain for serving.
Right off the egg
That is a thing of beauty!!
On the plate with prosciutto-wrapped scallops with rosemary sprigs
Wow...a very elegant looking (and sounding) plate. Beautiful job.
I really like this forum
I'll tell you in no uncertain terms that there are a lot of folks who are enjoying having you here. Please stick around and continue to participate.

Robert

Looks really good from here. I would scarf that plate down.. :emoji_thumbsup:
Thank you!
Looks perfect!
Much appreciated!
That's looks great. I have been on the fence on trying one.
Highly recomment it!
Nice meal for sure! I’ve not tried picanha yet, but oh so tempted… yours looks great!
Go for it!
Awesome! Great cook! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! The first couple cuts I did on mine were with the grain too😆 Luckily I caught it and switched! I’d also trimmed off all fat, next time I’ll leave some on. But awesome plate, fancy😆 Points!
Good to know others would do things differently too! Thanks for the fancyc points! hah!
It looks great to my eyes.
Thanks!
Great looking meal Kim! I've yet to try that as well.
It is a scrumptious piece of meat!
Looks delicious!
Despite my missteps, it really was delicious!
Now that looks nice and I could sit for a plate of that ,
but would have to pass the scallops to someone else.
so that just means more room for the meat and veg on my plate.

David
We had plenty of everything!
I am honored, thank you.

No sin at all here. There is no set rule on trimming the fat cap. One thing I'd recommend is scoring the fat cap and trying to rub the spices into the cuts. This will help the flavors to get into the meat.

That is paramount for optimal tenderness. These are somewhat similar to tri tips as far as the grain pattern goes and it's always best to slice across the grain for serving.

That is a thing of beauty!!

Wow...a very elegant looking (and sounding) plate. Beautiful job.

I'll tell you in no uncertain terms that there are a lot of folks who are enjoying having you here. Please stick around and continue to participate.

Robert
Thank you so much, Robert for all your help and your comments above. I will take them into my next cook! And especially your sentiment concerning the forum. Always good to hear people like want 'ya around!

And all of you, we bought a slicer (delivered yesterday) having sammies today. I blame the forum for this purchase...

Kim

Looks great! I haven't tried one either... mostly just because they are not locally available! Looks like you cooked it and the scallops perfectly! So this group enabled you into a slicer, hhhmmmm... wonder what else you need? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

That looks absolutely delicious, nice work. I’ve never cooked one because they just aren’t available locally, but I cook it’s cousin the Tri-Tip real often, so good.

Boy oh boy does that meal look good Kimberly.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! I haven't tried one either... mostly just because they are not locally available! Looks like you cooked it and the scallops perfectly! So this group enabled you into a slicer, hhhmmmm... wonder what else you need? :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Thanks! They are not available around here either, I had to order online unfortunately. I'm not sure I 'need' anything else. We have made a new rule; we have to have a place already cleared out for the new item before purchasing. hah.
That looks fantastic. I definitely could go for a few slices of that.
Thanks! Apprecciate it!
That looks absolutely delicious, nice work. I’ve never cooked one because they just aren’t available locally, but I cook it’s cousin the Tri-Tip real often, so good.
Oh, I love Tri-Tips also. I cook those pretty regularly here. Ann loves them and it makes for great tacos, sammies, etc.
Boy oh boy does that meal look good Kimberly.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you for the kind words, Chris!
Great looking plate....Gimme DRKsmoking DRKsmoking 's scallops (he dont know what hes missing).
Great think about our craft, even the "oops" for the most part turns out pretty decent.

Jim
You can have all the scallops you want. I had to buy a lb. of them at the store. There are only two of us, so this is going to last us a while! Thinking of having some with an alfredo dish next...
- Kim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky