First Picanha on MBG 1050 w GrillGrates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MiamiSmoker305

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 18, 2020
I picked up a 3 LB Prime Picanha from Wild Ford ($12.99/lb) last week. After defrosting, I dry-brined with coarse kosher salt for a little over one hour. Brought to room temp, scored the fat cap (did not trim), olive oil binder, coated both sides with a liberal coating of a special Argentinian S & P blend (Grazianos Market blend) + Garlic powder. Threw on the MBG 1050 middle rack @ 250F until an IT of 115F. Once at temp, I removed from the grill (did not tent, left outside), placed my GrillGrates down (griddle side up) and cranked the temp to 500F. Seared both sides for a few minutes until IT of 130F. Had a major flare-up when searing the fat cap side. The GrillGrates did a nice job of protecting the meat from complete annihilation. I had to finish the last few degrees with the controller of due to the flames. Not bad for my first attempt. I am getting better with flare ups on the MBG at high temps. Trying not to buy any mods for this, but I starting to believe this is inevitable.

Let me know what you think. The meat was great. Flavor was on point. Tenderness was perfect. Fat cap was a visibly charred, but it protected the meat from burning.

Perfect Rare/Med-Rare finished product
picanha_finished.png

Good looking cut and fat cap
Picahna Before.png

Burn victim fat cap
Picanha Fat Cap.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky