First KCBS event

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dahidalg

Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Hey, I am about to go in to my first kcbs event, I did a practice run with different flavors but the problem is that no matter what combination of rubs I use, all I could taste was the bbq sauce and maybe a hint pepper on chicken or ribs.. Any advice? Does it all have to taste sweet for kcbs? Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
No it doesn't have to be sweet. Pick a flavor profile from your region. The judges will be local so that's what they will look for. Kcbs is nationwide. It's not a kc bbq flavor comp. Word of advice. Just don't make it flamethrower hot. That will offend some. Definitely go with the flavors of your region or any other region. They aren't judging on kc flavor though

If you want the rub to be the prominent flavor either go with a lighter coating of sauce or maybe add a little water to the sauce to thin it out. Sounds to me like you just want the shine that the sauce can add and not the bold flavor.

Chris

Reactions: dahidalg
Hey, I am about to go in to my first kcbs event, I did a practice run with different flavors but the problem is that no matter what combination of rubs I use, all I could taste was the bbq sauce and maybe a hint pepper on chicken or ribs.. Any advice? Does it all have to taste sweet for kcbs? Thanks
It's good you are working on flavor because 'Taste' carries the heaviest weight when scoring. Next is 'Tenderness' and 'Appearance' has the lowest weight. The flavor profiles in competition BBQ (for chicken, ribs and pork shoulder) are a combination of sweet and savory... and that can be a fine line. Brisket flavor usually leans more toward savory but some entries have a sweet back flavor. I have judged some non-sauced entries, but those are rare.

You will hear many cooks and judges say that the various flavors you use should compliment the meat, but not overpower the meat, which is easier said than done. Injections, brines, and/or injectable brines work to directly flavor the meat, and add some valuable moisture. This is very important and a good starting point for all the KCBS meats. Yes, some cooks even inject ribs. Rubs and sauces are used to enhance the flavor of the meat. Here is a good video that you might find interesting.

Reactions: dahidalg
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky