First impressions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 27, 2016
Southwest Idaho
So I've done three smokes in my #3D so far. Ribs, snack sticks and whole chicken. The ribs rocked. I used the basic 225 to an IT of 195. Stellar. The snack sticks were lower temperature, had five different temps, four time parameters with the final step based on IT. Took three minutes to program and double check and they came out perfect. The whole chicken wasn't as successful. I only had so much time, so I went for a higher temperature cook. One hour at 275 and then finish at 300 to an IT of 160. It took 2 1/2 hours. Perfect chicken, bitter smoke flavor.

Takeaways:

I'm in love. My wife asked if I've named it yet.

The foil trick for the wood works great but for lower temperatures, like the sticks, it isn't necessary. The chunks were intact with only the bottoms turned black.

As for the higher temp on the chicken, that needs some work. Based on the flavor, I expected to find ash when I opened the smoker box, but the wood was black chunks. I'm thinking it's doable, but next time I'll go with a heavier layer of foil. Or just plan farther ahead. ;)

I don't smoke poultry but would suggest maybe trying less wood or a milder wood. Glad the smoker is working well for you. They are awesome.

I think I used too much wood on the chicken. The fun of cooking is figuring out what works and making it your own!

It's still brand new to you, so don't be dismayed.

Look how far you've come from a fire in a pit in the mouth of a cave...

Chicken does seem to take the smoke pretty intensely. Skin off, less so. I mainly use Apple wood for chicken and have found oak and hickory to be pretty strong. You will find your "zone" and you are correct, experimenting and learning is part of the fun!

I agree go lite on the smoke with chicken until you find your magic place. I'm glad your enjoying the new toy.

Chris

Also if your chicken skin comes out like tough, leathery, or inedible try smoking at 325F. Getting bite-through or even crispy skin is a temp thing not an issue with your smoker or the chicken itself :)
People report success drying out the skin a bunch as well before smoking.

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad!
I am surprised you had trouble with chicken though, but then I'm not familiar with your smoker.
Al

I believe you can crank it up to 375. Should crisp up the skin. Check your instructions or the SI site.

Next go around will be one piece of wood instead of two. I think next up will be some cold smoked sausage. I bought the cold smoking plate too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky