First good batch of Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpanderson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Corona, CA
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have made several batches of jerky using the hi mountain packages I was given as a gift when I received my Nesco Dehydrator. All came out extremely salty, so I had to eat the evidence so nobody would find out how bad it was. I finally decided to buy some cure #1 and put together my own recipe, which turned out fantastic! I'm currently stabilizing in a brown paper bag until morning, where I will probably give away/eat it all before the sun goes down tomorrow. I bought a .01 gram accurate scale to start measuring/fine tuning my recipes. Cheers to the first batch I feel is worthy of posting.
51287932_10216563232566566_4258676261162844160_n.jpg

Looks great! Like!

I recognize the trays and have the same dehydrator. You will love it.

You might want to take a look at Owen's BBQ. I won a contest and got some of their jerky mixes. They were awesome. Since then, I have never made my own marinate, which I had done for over 15 years. Here is their web page link to the jerky mixes:

https://www.owensbbq.com/sausage-seasonings-jerky-mixes.html

Reactions: cpanderson
Welcome to the forum. As it goes there are so many recipes and mixes out there you just have to find one that works for you if you made your own and it was to your liking then stay with it.

Warren

Bucket head would approve!
This just in; we have unconfirmed reports that Tokyo is under attack
By a fifty-foot man with a white face,
a chicken bucket on his head, uh, carrying an enormous guitar!
According to this report, whenever he plays a note,
the sonic waves cause whole buildings to explode,
streets to buckle and split, and vehicles fly about like toys!

Beautiful jerky.... Very nice color..... I'd eat it...
I have read your comments on food safety over and over, and have called my mom for advice because she is a masters food preserver up in Roseburg, Oregon. She is more into canning than smoking or curing, so she always says that she doesn't know the answer, but that I should seek the answer from those who know what they are talking about... but says she learned enough to not mess with botulism...

I have read your comments on food safety over and over, and have called my mom for advice because she is a masters food preserver up in Roseburg, Oregon. She is more into canning than smoking or curing, so she always says that she doesn't know the answer, but that I should seek the answer from those who know what they are talking about... but says she learned enough to not mess with botulism...

If you are suggesting, or have concerns of dehydrator made jerky being susceptible to botulism food poisoning, your concerns are unfounded.... A dehydrator is not a low oxygen environment, which is necessary for botulism toxins to form... AND, you are absolutely correct about "not messing with botulism' ... It's a simple preventative to measure cure#1 and apply to any foods that may be subjected to a low oxygen environment... Besides those attributes, it adds some desirable flavor profiles, adds some rancidity protection to fats, and helps "hold at bay" other food borne poisons...

What is Clostridium botulinum? Clostridium botulinum are rod-shaped bacteria (also called C. botulinum. They are anaerobic, meaning they live and grow in low oxygen conditions. The bacteria form protective spores when conditions for survival are poor. The spore has a hard protective coating that encases the key parts of the bacterium and has layers of protective membranes. Within these membranes and the hard coating, the dormant bacterium is able to survive for years. C. botulinum is responsible for a disease called botulism.

Looks very good! Would you mind sharing your recipe?
I scaled it up from here.
1 LB Recipe
liquid smoke 1 tsp
worcestershire sauce 1 TBL
Soy Sauce 1 TBL
Chili Garlic Sauce 2 TBL
Salt 1/2 tsp
Brown Sugar 1 TBL
Lime Juice 1 lime
Zest of lime 1 lime
curing salt 1/4 tsp
jalapeno 1
Black Pepper 1/4 tsp
Onion Powder 1/4 tsp
Honey 1 tsp

Reactions: Steve H
Looks great! Like!

I recognize the trays and have the same dehydrator. You will love it.

You might want to take a look at Owen's BBQ. I won a contest and got some of their jerky mixes. They were awesome. Since then, I have never made my own marinate, which I had done for over 15 years. Here is their web page link to the jerky mixes:

https://www.owensbbq.com/sausage-seasonings-jerky-mixes.html
Thank you for the recommendation. Perhaps I will give them a try, but the cooking artist in me likes reading recipes and thinking about ingredients and then trying to make something of a mishmash of them to meet the flavor profile I am looking for. I think my only go-to seasoning that I buy is McCormick Steak and Chop seasoning for my tri tips... I just love that stuff! Sometimes I SV the tri tip and then finish on the grill close to the coals, and sometimes I do it all grill, but I never not put that seasoning on it unless I run out. Personally, I like to slather mayonnaise all over the tri tip and then coat with the seasoning. It provides a fat to aid in heat convection, as well as a protein that aids in Maillard reactions to give it an awesome crust, while aiding in adhesion of the seasoning to the roast...

CP, morning..... Making your own recipes for spices ??? I have this book.... It really puts spices in perspective as to combinations and meats that pair well....

Flavor Bible.jpg

Reactions: cpanderson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky