First Fattie

Discussion in 'Fatties' started by antrocks22, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Exciting day today, made a smoked salsa and also my first fattie! I went by this for a guide on how to roll

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/87031/rollin-a-fatty-my-version

seemed to work out pretty good. Didn't do anything crazy for the first time. Mild Italian sausage, with saute garlic, onion, green peppers and jalapenos then into a bacon weave.

mild Italian sausage

Rolled out, filled with cheese, saute garlic onions, green pepper and Jalapeno

On the smoke with 2 baked potatoes.

Still has about an hour left. Will post money shot pictures when done.

2. Came out excellent. Bacon was not as crispy as I would have liked, anyone have any suggestions?

Money shot

GaryHibbert and crazymoon like this.
  3. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

AR22, Your fattie looks excellent. I always use thin cut bacon and lately after the smoke I give it a quick sear on the gas grill to crisp the bacon up.[​IMG]

4. smokechef

smokechef Newbie

Looks absolutely great to me! Thanks for sharing.

5. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit

Good looking fatty!! Thumbs Up

6. boog22

boog22 Newbie

Looks good, I also fire up the grill and give it a quick sear to get the bacon done. Still never gets real crispy but no one ever complains and never any leftovers with a good fattie.

7. bucsrno1

bucsrno1 Fire Starter

Next time I would try brushing some canola oil over the bacon to help it crisp up.

BTW, yer fattie looks delicious.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  8. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well, your first fatty looks great.  Nice bacon weave.  Looks like you can count this one as a definite success.

[​IMG]

Gary