First ever Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

christophcbv

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Hi everyone,

Smoking a ham with my chickens today and I have read a few of the threads in here with hams and what not, but can't find a good way to do it that lists numbers, etc.  

It is just a small precooked/smoked ham, what temp should I smoke it at?  What temp does the inside of the ham need to reach?  What's your favourite rub or sauce to put on it? 

Thanks so much.

With a precooked ham, you can treat it like you do in the oven. It comes out great. Indirect heat with oven times and temps. I like how the outside gets nice and crispy. I like 165 inner temp, but since it is fully cooked, it is your choice.

Thanks for that, didn't see that link/description til now.

So for a small 5lb ham, it wouldn't take to long, one thing I was confused about and want to make sure about, is how long do I cook it for (I'm just looking for the internal temp).  Smoke til its around 145?  Thanks.

Thanks for that, didn't see that link/description til now.

So for a small 5lb ham, it wouldn't take to long, one thing I was confused about and want to make sure about, is how long do I cook it for (I'm just looking for the internal temp).  Smoke til its around 145?  Thanks.
At 325* @ 15 min per lb ~ 75 - 90 minutes.  If using a lower temp time will increase.  I think 145* internal is a good goal.

Last edited:
I take the internal temp of hams to no more than 145°F. Beyond that they seem to begin to get dry and stringy. The temp you smoke at depends on the the Chicken, so does any coating on the ham. Hams do well at 250° but the chicken, although they will cook fine, need to be crisped up on the Grill or in the Oven at 425°F. Chicken does nicely at 300°+ but the exterior of the ham will be tough or burnt depending on what you put on the outside. I don't put anything on ham because the family, and the Dog for that matter, like the outside cut off of most hams. I used to put a glaze but it all just runs off anyway as the ham gets hot. If you really want to glaze the ham search Alton Brown's City Ham. There is a great recipe and timing instructions. Even if you choose a different glaze I would still follow those instructions...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky