First cook on the new Cast Iron skillet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Seasoned up the new 12" CI skillet, 3 rounds of seasoning with avocado oil to set it up. First meal up was Piquant pork chops. I Sous vided the chops to 132 deg.

The seasoned CI, a thing a beauty
ci.jpg

The SV shot
sv.jpg

pulled from the SV after 4 hours at 132 deg, never looks great right out of the bag. Dried the chops before the sear.
chop.jpg

CI out on the grill, little butter and oil. I have to admit I don't think I heated the pan enough, this was the best sear I got. I have a laser thermometer in my Amazon cart. I use one all the time in the PA house to make sure the wood fired pizza stone is hot enough. I am sure it did not help that it was 35deg outside when searing.
seaar.jpg

Back inside the wife finished the cook. Started with some onions, the residual oil and butter with "bits" really worked great with this.
onions.jpg

Added tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce , bullion, water and reduced then into the oven.
mix.jpg

While in the oven, cooked the riced cauliflower
cauliflower rice.jpg

Out of the oven @ 375 deg
oven.jpg

Here is the final plate
plate.jpg

Taste was very good, kind of cool using the same pan from start to finish, the CI cleaned up real easy. The best part was my wife said "something" made this meal better than anytime we have cooked it and we have cooked this a ton of times....the CI maybe???? I now know that I really need to get the pan hot to sear, I am thinking 500+ deg?

I want to thank everyone here for your input and advice on my post about deciding to get one of these. I plan to use them a bunch, tomorrow is gyros!

That is so great to hear that you enjoyed cooking with it and like the CI! You did an incredible job all around from the seasoning to the cook! It looks like an incredible meal. Congrats! Big point!

Reactions: clifish
Looks delicious! Really glad you both loved your first cook using it! And many more. I'd have to say my favorite thing in cast iron is fried potatoes and onions...they take on such a beautiful color and crunch.

Ryan

Looks delicious! Really glad you both loved your first cook using it! And many more. I'd have to say my favorite thing in cast iron is fried potatoes and onions...they take on such a beautiful color and crunch.

Ryan
Thanks all for the comments and likes! Tonight I will be using it to saute the onions and meat for gyro salads. Will try bacon and eggs over the weekend in the 10". Then I want to clean up the other 12" and 8" I found in the back shed.

I want to thank everyone here for your input and advice on my post about deciding to get one of these. I plan to use them a bunch, tomorrow is gyros!

Somebody say Gyros in a CI? Lol, can't be beat. Though these are just pork gyros with a homemade seasoning blend. These browned up great.

P1090052pt1.jpg

• Love
Love me some Gyros, not at your level Steve. (BTW what spices did you add to yours?)

Onions in, love the way the CI caramelizes the onions
IMG_3486.jpg

Uncooked lamb/beef pre-shaved off the cone, I buy this 10lbs at a time in restaurant depot and break it down into individual use sized vacuum bags.
IMG_3487.jpg

All cooked down
IMG_3488.jpg

All plated on lettuce (no pita, keeping carbs low). Some tomato and a cucumber dill salad made with sour cream, little mayo, some red wine vinegar, garlic, onion powder and lots of dill. Topped with a bunch of hot sauce and a good vodka/diet dr. pepper and good to go.
IMG_3489.jpg

Love me some Gyros, not at your level Steve. (BTW what spices did you add to yours?)

1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
1\2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika powder
Run through spice grinder.
Mix meat with enough olive oil to coat. Then a decent splash of lemon juice, few Tbs.
Then add spice blend and thoroughly mix. Let it set overnight. Then cook. This is amazing on the BlackStone too.

1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
1\2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika powder
Run through spice grinder.
Mix meat with enough olive oil to coat. Then a decent splash of lemon juice, few Tbs.
Then add spice blend and thoroughly mix. Let it set overnight. Then cook. This is amazing on the BlackStone too.
Thanks, I have done them on the blackstone a bunch. As the weather is cold down here ( I am sure much colder up by you) along with a slight case of the covid cold, I am doing the cooks inside.

Reactions: Steve H
Thanks, I have done them on the blackstone a bunch. As the weather is cold down here ( I am sure much colder up by you) along with a slight case of the covid cold, I am doing the cooks inside.

Sorry to hear about your cold. We're getting ready for a decent storm tomorrow. Are you going to get hit?

Sorry to hear about your cold. We're getting ready for a decent storm tomorrow. Are you going to get hit?
I have had worse hangovers than this version of covid.

We might get freezing rain Monday. Unlike my son in NH, calling for 13" of snow and -40 wind chill.

Reactions: zwiller
It's supposed to get real nasty here later today extremely cold and 12" or more of snow. Gonna get the cars moved around so I can use the blower later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky