First Cook on my new to me PK Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
I have been eyeballing PK Grills for sometime now and moved from eyeballing to wanting (you know how it is).
They are pretty pricey though so I have been looking for a used one. A friend of mine who use to cook steak cook offs messaged me and asked if I wanted to buy his. Pretty good deal so I did. Picked it up Monday and got around to my first cook yesterday.
68B6CAD3-BE91-4C58-96A0-6FFC5E025F29.jpeg

I decided to start with 2 split chickens. I injected the birds with Butcher’s BBQ Honey Booster and rubbed them down with On Point AP rub and Chef Merito Steak and Meat Seasoning. Love this combination on chicken
C4B719FD-028A-4222-B696-B128E7E43A5F.jpeg

278AE193-4772-49B4-94FF-85375F33F61C.jpeg

I got the PK setup for indirect Cooking with RO briquettes and a couple chunks of pecan wood in the front and the birds over a drip pan in the back. I had the vent under the fire open and the vent over the birds open to create a draw. The other 2 vents remained closed.
5D0F8CAA-7C90-46DD-A24D-3F64A49FF511.jpeg

I do not have a thermometer so I don’t know what temp these cooked at. The total cook time was 2.5 hours.
E7039435-ED1F-49A8-9BEB-B22F65335927.jpeg

When the birds were done I moved them over the coal to crisp up the skin and brown the bottom a bit.
Here they are done just before taking them off the grill.
All in all a great cook for my first time on the PK. I have cooked on pellet smokers for years and had forgot how pronounced the smoke flavor is when cooking with coals and wood.
We ate 3/4 on one of the birds and I made chicken salad out of the rest. It was very good too.

Thanks,
Johnny Ray

Turned out great! Congrats on the new toy and many more cooks to come

Ryan

I bought my PK Classic last fall and I have used it almost every single day since. Really like that little rascal.

I bought my PK Classic last fall and I have used it almost every single day since. Really like that little rascal.
I can believe it. I’m on the PK Grills FB page and it’s like a cult following. Seems like you can do a lot of different things on one.

looks Good !! Brings back memories. I learned to grill on a PK when I was a kid in Oak Cliff TX.
My Mom had bought one at a garage sale. A little History, the first one was built in 1952, here in Tyler TX. They are now made in Little Rock Arkansas

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky