First competition and came in 8th overall !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congrats on a successful first comp!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
top ten on your first competition. Do you plan on entering anymore? I have questions. Do you pay all of your expenses or did you have a sponser? What is the bottom line just to get in with the meat & fuel costs? Was there an entry fee? Where was the competition held?

Bottom line to get in was $150 dollars and we spent about that in meat ($70 for a case of ribs and about $70 in butts and a brisket). We spent a lot more on other stuff we needed and we gave out sodas and water, etc. My employer sponsored me, but I am planning for the future in case he won't again.

Sorry to keep adding things but I didn't think of this earlier. I will say that in my opinion that the butts and the brisket were the best I have ever cooked in my life. I think my partner has pics and I will post them too. We put them on at 8pm Fri night. 4 hrs later I put the brisket in a pan and foiled the top where it stayed foiled for the next 10 hrs. (12am to 10am next day) 14 hrs total. The butts I never foiled. I wanted to ensure a good bark. I sprayed them about every hour with our juice and season mix. I just let them keep on going through till about 8am next morning where I put them in a pan (two in each and foiled the top, but left one side open so they wouldnt condensate and get soggy. They had hit over 190 when I put them in the pan and I let them sit for about 3 hrs before we pulled them. They were like none I have ever cooked. I removed the brisket from the pan at about 10am and put it on some heavy foil and let it sit back in the smoker for about an hour. We were not "smoking" during this time so it did not get over cooked.

All in all it was an amazing weekend and my lips have tasted my best work ever!

I love that smoker , man that thing is huge, did you make that yourself?
I had to laugh when I saw that huge smoker and realized you were in the backyard smoker division. That thing would have a hard time fitting in my back yard.
icon_mrgreen.gif

To meet Johnny Triggs must have been the icing on the cake.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky