First butt without foiling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsmokerky

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Bowling Green
Started a butt last night in the Smokin It at 8:00. 8 pound-ish. Let it go until 1:00 AM at 250 with good smoke. Not knowing how it would go, I turned smoker down to about 210 and went to bed. Checked it about 9:30 this morning, and probes showed 180 and 169. Cranked it back up to 250. 1:30, probes showing 203 and 192. This is the first butt I've smoked without foiling around 175 or so. I guess next time, I will leave the temp at 250 over night. Is 2 hours per pound about average at 250, for a butt without foiling? Getting ready to pull it, wrap, and let it rest for a couple hours. Shred and feast a little later!

Any where from 1.5 to 2 hrs. is a good estimate. It also depend on the shape of the meat and fat content.

Chris

Sounds like you have a good handle on this. I do butts and just about everything at 225/230, no foiling. I start between 2200 and 2400 (10/12 PM) and just let it go and check sometime in the morning. 1 to 1 1/2 hour per lb is what I judge by. The stall hits around 165/170 and temp change is extremely slow. I check the temp when I get up in the morning and get on with other chores. At 195/200 I pull. An 8lb butt can take 8 to 12 hours for the IT I am looking for.

It’s bone in and it’s resting. Probe slid in like soft butter. May be a little too done. Probes showed 205 and 195. Best bark I’ve had in the new unit. Heavier smoke and not foiling I guess.

Attachments

• 15F638DD-3F5B-4D91-BCCB-1A7E20A8AA76.jpeg
    15F638DD-3F5B-4D91-BCCB-1A7E20A8AA76.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 42
I always had good bark with the gasser and I foiled them all. But I also had heavier smoke and higher finishing temp. Still learning the new unit.

Looks good to me. Plenty of bark! As an aside, if the meat jiggles and the bone slides out with no effort, it is done! The best test is in the eating!

Reactions: SGMan
Well, dang. I was thrilled with the butt. Daughter was like, "what did you do different? the black part is my favorite, and it is hard." Can't win.

It’s bone in and it’s resting. Probe slid in like soft butter. May be a little too done. Probes showed 205 and 195. Best bark I’ve had in the new unit. Heavier smoke and not foiling I guess.

Wow that looks great!!!
Once I went unwrapped on a pork butt I never went back!
I love more smoke flavor and though I'm not a bark fanataic I like having more bark on such a large chunk of meat like a pork butt. I also do my briskets unwrapped.
To me you can't beat unwrapped for the best flavor.

As for IT, I think you are fine with what you were reading at 205F and 195F. You can take a pork butt to 210F if you want. To me with such large chunks of meat I find a minimum of 2 probes required to get a decent IT reading.
On briskets it is mandatory for me to run 3 meat probes because that damn meat is a magical mystery if you see what the IT does across the 3 probes hahahah. With the 3 probes in the brisket I can nail a correct IT every time since I usually place 2 of the 3 less accurately every single time hahahah

Good work and keep up the great smoking! :smile:

Great looking butt!
I don't foil anymore either, unless I'm running out of time & people are saying "Is it done yet!".
We love the thick bark mixed in with the PP.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky