First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vic81

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Marietta, GA
Decided to smoke a Brisket.  There is a cajun meat market very close to my house - they'll cut any meat you want...AWESOME place.

Anyhow, after 8 hours on the smoker the taste and flavor was incrediable.  It wasn't as tender as I had hoped and maybe could've gone another hour or two on the smoker.  I used a rub called 3 Beer, highly recommend it.  I did fat side down and foiled it for the last 1.5 hrs in the smoker.  Then let it rest in a cooler for about an hour.  Here are some pics: 

Needless to say it took a lot longer than I thought to cook, but there were no left overs....  
icon_wink.gif

Great lookin briskey!

You REALLY need to cook to temps on this cut of beef . 165 -170  foil and take to 195  for slicing .

i took my last one to 200 and sliced it and it was melt in yo mouth.

Great lookin briskey!

You REALLY need to cook to temps on this cut of beef . 165 -170  foil and take to 195  for slicing .

i took my last one to 200 and sliced it and it was melt in yo mouth.

I just got to impatient I think, I was cooking to temp - but with family in town and all the Halloween stuff going on I rushed it a little.  Still great, but next time I will give it more time.

Looks really good! Nothing better than a good brisket..

Why the fat side down? Have you smoked one fat-side-up?

Don't sweat the foiling.. I don't foil mine so it makes for a better bark.

Great job!

Looks good, Making me hungry.  I like foiling the final product.  My last Brisket went over temp to about 208 but it was still great.  It ended up being a fall apart brisket super tender and still moist thanks to the foil time.

Ron

That is a flat  ,Only thing w/ flat is no burnt ends.

Looks really good! Nothing better than a good brisket..

Why the fat side down? Have you smoked one fat-side-up?

Don't sweat the foiling.. I don't foil mine so it makes for a better bark.

Great job!
I did a little reading on the forum and it looked like a 50/50 split on how people did it.  When I foiled it, I turned it fat side up.  Next time I will try fat up and see how it turns out.

I have friends in Marietta, What's the name of the market?
It's called the Cajun Meat Company - great place. Here is the website : http://www.cajunmeatcompany.com/

Looks great. What internal temp did you end up pulling it at? Next time if you take it to around 195-200 you will have some very nice tender beef. 
I took it to 160, then foiled until 185 - then had to pull it and place in the cooler due to time restrictions.

That is a flat  ,Only thing w/ flat is no burnt ends.
Yea, it was a 6.5lb flat.  No burnt ends here, though they might have tasted pretty good 
icon_mrgreen.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now your brisket looks great. But it really needs to smoked to temp to get the melt in your mouth good. Next time try not trimming off any of the fat cap and see hopw you like it.

icon_cool.gif

Now your brisket looks great. But it really needs to smoked to temp to get the melt in your mouth good. Next time try not trimming off any of the fat cap and see hopw you like it.

Did you mean leaving the fat cap on after cooking it?  I had it on while smoking, and cooling - just trimmed it off before eating.

Nice looking first run.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Was definately the 185° that affected the tenderness. Next time take to 195° and you will be much happier with the results. One good trick to rember is that you can hold a big piece of meat for 4-6 hrs. in a towel filled cooler. So plan on starting the smoke sooner, and holding it for 1-3 hrs., that way you aren't waiting on it to get done when everybody is standing there.

Great thread! I'm still learning about brisket too. I haven't made a decent one yet. Yours looks really nice and juicy with a great smoke ring. Thanks for sharing. I was also wondering about the fat cap, up or down. I had mine up, took it to 195F and it was still like eating a leather shoe.

Looks really good from here Vic!

What Eman said in Post #2 should fix you right up!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky