First Brisket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dysartsmoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Dysart Saskatchewan Canada
Well smoked just about everything except a brisket picked up a 9.5 lb yesterday trimmed this morning now in the fridge till tomorrow. WISH ME LUCK Going to do some reading today so I don't screw it up.

Trimmed

Rubbed

Till tomorrow

Whats in the rub there Jack??? I like the brisket and it looks like everything will be just fine and you'll be smoking tomorrow.

Finished my first brisket yesterday...what a learning experience. Here is what I learned over the past week from everyone on the site.

I cooked between 220F and 230F. Mopped every couple of hours. Used a water pan to maintain moisture and heat levels in the smoker. I figure it should have taken about 13-14 hours to cook a 9 1/2 pound brisket. I had a little set back about half way when the heating element in my smoker turned off and I didnt notice for about an hour and a half. Ended up pulling it at 187F (my target was 190F for a slicing brisket) 17 hours later. Wrapped it in tinfoil and a towel and put it in a dry warm cooler for about an hour. Brisket came out exteremy tender and moist.

As was a reminder given to me.....if the beef stalls around 180F (and it probably will), RELAX....sit back and dont change anything. This is a natural thing to happen as this is where the muscle in the meat starts to melt.

(I would go for 205-210F if I was going for a chopped/pulled brisket.)

Good luck and remember to give yourself LOTS of time. Better to finiah early, wrap in tinfoil and a towel, then to have to pull it unfinished because the guests and/or family are hungry. I strated mine at 11PM the night before and still was about a half hour late serving dinner.

I just picked one up yesterday and I am going to try my hand for the first time at a brisket. I am going to be watching your post to see how yours comes out. You used Jeffs Rub did you inject it at all? I am thinking about injecting some type of beef broth or apple juice. What about mopping it at all?? I am looking for a mop sauce as well.

a little more
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
than 3 hours in and at 145 sound about right???????????//

Sounds like its going well just be prepared for the stall and don't get discouraged by it.

Lookin good there. Glad you waited out the stall. My first one stalled for 3 hours. Had I been sober, I probably would have freaked a little. Its amazing what alcohol and sleep deprovation can do! Lol, can't wait to see the finished product!

Looks good how long was the stall

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky