First brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

princeeofsin

Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Hello everyone. So far, everything I have smoked/cooked on my Traeger has came out perfect (except Pork Loin but I will try again). Now I want to smoke my first Brisket. Please share with me your ideas so my Brisket will come out perfect

You are going to get so much fat up/fat down, 225/250/300+ degrees, when to rub, injection, mop, wrap/no wrap, smoking wood, internal temp/probe tender jargon it will make your head spin...

So I will just say...Just like any other smoke, time and patience. Don't overthink and dive in. Good luck!! 
grilling_smilie.gif

I would just use the search function & type "Brisket".

You can read threads all day long.

Al

I did a small center cut brisket the other day. I seem to remember it was a little over 3 pounds and if I remember correctly I used hickory wood and was going to allow 5 hours. It ended up taking 6 hours and it was only at about 180 IT so I had to finish it in the oven. Also, I ran hickory wood thru the whole 5 hours and it was way too strong a smoke taste. So, I took away a couple of things. One-leave plenty of time for it to do its thing. It is going to be done when it is done and you have to have patience. Two-if your family is like mine, to much smoke is not good. My next brisket attempt will either be a milder wood, pecan, Apple or a combination of wood and the smoke part of the process may only go for the 3 or 4 hours.

Now take this for what it is worth as I am still very new to all this. But that is what I took away from my first brisket. Oh, and the day after the taste was a bit more mellow and it made for a great sandwich. Lol.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

D

I think reading a lot of posts is great,you get a feel for all the different options as DB said and pick what you want and tweak till you find what works for you. Are you planning a flat or packer it will make a difference. My suggestion is for your first trim fat to about a quarter inch season with salt and pepper take it easy with the wood smoke around 225-250 till its probe tender,probe should slide in with little resistance. If you want you can wrap the brisket around 160*IT in foil it will speed up the cook but produce a softer bark. Next time you can add more seasoning and use more/different wood or woods you can't take the smoke back. What was wrong with your pork loin?

Forgot to mention most people like to rest there brisket after cooking, I let mine cool a few mins then wrap in foil once or twice and gross it in a clean dry cooler wrapped in towels I even use old pillows to take up excess space in the cooler. I rest for about an hour because I'm usually hungry but it should stay two to three hours easily.

That's the beauty of a brisket. Any way you cook it, as long as you take it to 205 it's going to be good. You could probably light it on fire and it would still taste good LOL!
I like to rest it in foil for a while, but last weekend people were "starving" and it only got about a 15 minute rest. Still good. Rub it up the night before or just pull from the fridge and sprinkle some SPOG or salt & pepper on it and toss it on (my favorite). All good. The grain of the flat is different from the point, but if you goof slicing.... still good!
B-one hit the basics, though. Even when you hit your target temp do a probe test to be sure.
Have fun with it!
Dan

Thank you. The Pork Loin came out too dry. Will try another approach 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky