First brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pablo mcwilliam

Original poster
May 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bought a 5.8 lb "Brisket pot roast" at Costco. Never done one befor.  I figure a good rub and then in to my Bradley.

It seems the consensus is to smoke until IT is about 185 for slicing and about 1.5 hours per pound.

Suggestions on smoker temp and a good rub?

Pictures to follow, since I'm not doing it until the weekend.

Thanks to all.

Pablo

Try for the rub

2 Tbsp. kosher salt

2 Tbsp. course black pepper

2 Tbsp. paprika

1/2 tsp. granulated garlic

1/2 tsp. granulated onion

1/2 tsp. cumin

1 tsp.dark brown sugar

Gets me great reviews every time. I also use this rub on my beef roasts for pulled beef.

Go for a smoker temp of 250 and throw out the time estimates. A brisket is done when it's done. Trust me, you'll have a much better time smoking that way
I agree,

I have smoked about ten times and I find not to worry about how long it takes, but I am not going to smoke a Boston Butt @ 225 either. Takes way to long. I have read that some people do that.

250 pit temp, good, thin blue smoke for 4 to 5 hours or until around 165 IT, once the brisket reaches 195 IT, start probing the flat section with a toothpick every 30 minutes or so to check for tenderness.  Once the pick slides in easily, like butter, pull it, rest it (preferably in a cooler, in foil, wrapped with towels), slice it.  I know it's a "consensus" around here, but I slice mine when I cook to  toothpick tender, which usually occurs after 200, typically past 205 IT, the edges may crumble a bit when slicing, but it is incredible. 

Another tip, don't slice it until the IT has dropped near or around 160, this is the point where the juices have redistributed and should make for a more juicier brisket. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky