First Brisket was a semi-fail but overall success...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sam I am not seeing any “semi fail” in what you did. You cooked an excellent looking brisket. Nice job. If I were you I’d invest in a multi probe thermometer so you can monitor actual pit temps.

Thanks guys. I've been meaning to temp my grill to get a better idea, but I've not really run into any problems since owning it. I've noticed when doing chicken etc that the right side is typically the hot side so that's what prompted me to place the point at that end, but I wasn't really aware of huge temperature overshoots. I'll place my maverick on a few spots tonight to see if I can't diagnose what's what.
Brisket looks really nice...If your worry about hot spots you can always use the frozen biscuit or pancake method and place them all around the pit and after a bit you will know where your hot spots are. Harry Soo has a video on youtube doing the same exact thing.

Reactions: MJB05615
Your Brisket looks great! Especially the juiciness in that video. Nice smoke ring too.
Everything else said above is correct. Once you make sure your probes are accurate, find the hotspots, etc. You'll do fine.

Mike

Very good job.
You recovered from "changes" in the plan.
Meat cooked, served on time, and satisfied customers.

Adjust and compensate for next cook. As jcam222 jcam222 posted get a multiple probe thermometer.
I got the $20 4 probe unit from Walmart on an emergency purchase. Inkbird is a sponsor and has some amazing products.

I haven't done a brisket on the pellet pooper I got this year. You helped my learning curve

Reactions: samcanadian
Very good job.
You recovered from "changes" in the plan.
Meat cooked, served on time, and satisfied customers.

Adjust and compensate for next cook. As jcam222 jcam222 posted get a multiple probe thermometer.
I got the $20 4 probe unit from Walmart on an emergency purchase. Inkbird is a sponsor and has some amazing products.

I haven't done a brisket on the pellet pooper I got this year. You helped my learning curve
Do you think you could link me to the unit you'd recommend? I've got a Maverick, but I could probably use a new one tbh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky