First brisket last week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billzforillz

Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
Howdy all, was looking for some input on my first brisket from last week. Here's the setup:
Got (2) 2# briskets from store, no trim needed as there was barely any fat.
Rubbed a nice Weber's Horseradish Yellow mustard, then a very simple dry rub, saran wrapped in fridge for 30hrs. Out of fridge to room temp for 10hrs.
Using my MES set to 230deg, as it runs about 15deg cooler than displayed. Whiskey wood chips used, I thought it produced a nice sweet smell.
I smoked them for 10hrs, adding chips every hr for the first 6hrs. No added smoke for the last 4hrs, just heat. I kept the top vent closed, my thinking being that the steaminess would help meat stay juicy.
Out of the heat, foiled, and blanket wrapped before resting in the insulated cooler for 2hrs.

The end result was tasty and juicy when sliced, but didn't fall apart at all. I cut against bias at about 1/4", but it wasn't pulling tenderness level.
Folks, is there something I missed in my process? Or was I defeated before I left the store? I had concerns about the leanness of my briskets, but my options were limited. I know I'll prepare better in the future.
Always appreciate any suggestions

Howdy all, was looking for some input on my first brisket from last week. Here's the setup:
Got (2) 2# briskets from store, no trim needed as there was barely any fat.
Rubbed a nice Weber's Horseradish Yellow mustard, then a very simple dry rub, saran wrapped in fridge for 30hrs. Out of fridge to room temp for 10hrs.
Using my MES set to 230deg, as it runs about 15deg cooler than displayed. Whiskey wood chips used, I thought it produced a nice sweet smell.
I smoked them for 10hrs, adding chips every hr for the first 6hrs. No added smoke for the last 4hrs, just heat. I kept the top vent closed, my thinking being that the steaminess would help meat stay juicy.
Out of the heat, foiled, and blanket wrapped before resting in the insulated cooler for 2hrs.

The end result was tasty and juicy when sliced, but didn't fall apart at all. I cut against bias at about 1/4", but it wasn't pulling tenderness level.
Folks, is there something I missed in my process? Or was I defeated before I left the store? I had concerns about the leanness of my briskets, but my options were limited. I know I'll prepare better in the future.
Always appreciate any suggestions

Did you say you left them out of the fridge for 10 hours? That is very dangerous!

I think 10 hours is way too long for a 2# piece of meat. Did you check the temp of the meat?

Did you say you left them out of the fridge for 10 hours? That is very dangerous!

I think 10 hours is way too long for a 2# piece of meat. Did you check the temp of the meat?
Seemed excessive. How long should you give per pound to come up to temp?

Do not bring it to room temp for 10 hours. You only have 4 hours to get it from 40° to 140°
I wish JJ would jump in here as he is the food safety expert here.
Happy safe smoking
David
I was going off the advice of someone else, but he's used to doing much larger briskets. I had no idea about that 4hr window, thanks for that. I would never want to risk getting people sick. I always do a solo run to work out the kinks before I would feed others. Obviously, I could benefit by reading more on proper meat selection too.
Other than that rather glaring issue, anything seem wrong with my process? Thanks for the input.

I was going off the advice of someone else, but he's used to doing much larger briskets. I had no idea about that 4hr window, thanks for that. I would never want to risk getting people sick. I always do a solo run to work out the kinks before I would feed others. Obviously, I could benefit by reading more on proper meat selection too.
Other than that rather glaring issue, anything seem wrong with my process? Thanks for the input.
I sent JJ a PM he will jump in here.

David

Everything you did BUT the 10 hours at room temp was fine. The point of letting Beef warm up is for an even doneness of a Steak or Roast that will be cooked no more than Medium. The time it would take for the center of a cold chunk of meat to get to medium would result in well done most of the way through with a small section of perfectly medium meat in the center. By warming, the whole deal comes up to temp more evenly with most of the meat medium and a thin edge well done. In the case of a Brisket we are smoking the whole deal way beyond well done, 165°F, to 195°F+. So what do you gain be letting the meat warm up? In the Restaurant biz we are allowed to have meat out no more than 2 hours. And we recommend no more than that, in most cases, here as well. Now you need to understand that if you break the surface of the meat in anyway, inject, punch garlic cloves in or remove an internal bone like in a Ham or Pork Butt, then you need to go from Refer to Smoker without delay. There is a risk of introducing surface Bacteria into the meat in these situations and between sitting on the counter and a low and slow smoke there is more than enough time for Bacteria and any Toxin they generate to get to dangerous levels. If you need more info or have a question feel free to send a PM, that is the easiest way to make sure I see and answer your question...JJ

Everything you did BUT the 10 hours at room temp was fine. The point of letting Beef warm up is for an even doneness of a Steak or Roast that will be cooked no more than Medium. The time it would take for the center of a cold chunk of meat to get to medium would result in well done most of the way through with a small section of perfectly medium meat in the center. By warming, the whole deal comes up to temp more evenly with most of the meat medium and a thin edge well done. In the case of a Brisket we are smoking the whole deal way beyond well done, 165°F, to 195°F+. So what do you gain be letting the meat warm up? In the Restaurant biz we are allowed to have meat out no more than 2 hours. And we recommend no more than that, in most cases, here as well. Now you need to understand that if you break the surface of the meat in anyway, inject, punch garlic cloves in or remove an internal bone like in a Ham or Pork Butt, then you need to go from Refer to Smoker without delay. There is a risk of introducing surface Bacteria into the meat in these situations and between sitting on the counter and a low and slow smoke there is more than enough time for Bacteria and any Toxin they generate to get to dangerous levels. If you need more info or have a question feel free to send a PM, that is the easiest way to make sure I see and answer your question...JJ
A 1000 thanks, this is what makes this such a great place!
I spent a lot of time reading last night, and feel that I've got a much better idea of places I went wrong. No more time on the counter bringing up to room temp, and I was more concerned with time and not enough with IT. I checked IT with the MES connected meat therm.
Should I keep the meat therm in the whole smoke? I was concerned about juice loss.
I have no doubt with the help I've already received here I can get to where I want to be as a backyard smokesman. Ive got some time coming up, I'm gonna get this right!
Thanks again!

There are a lot of MES owners here and one of the most common complaints is, " My therm probe is off X degrees ". Your best bet is to get the MAV 732 that can be verified accurate then test the two together. Opinions vary but you should insert the probe 1 hour after you start smoking and leave it there the entire smoke, even when you foil. You want to monitor the temps so you know when to foil and when it is done. The small hole the probe makes will not affect the juiciness...JJ

There are a lot of MES owners here and one of the most common complaints is, " My therm probe is off X degrees ". Your best bet is to get the MAV 732 that can be verified accurate then test the two together. Opinions vary but you should insert the probe 1 hour after you start smoking and leave it there the entire smoke, even when you foil. You want to monitor the temps so you know when to foil and when it is done. The small hole the probe makes will not affect the juiciness...JJ
Great info JJ. I feel better to know the temp, so being able to leave a reliable therm in is a relief. So I should foil before 185deg? I've usually only foiled at rest in the blankets/cooler. I also don't have much luck with a bark, but I attributed that to not enough rub.

Most foil at the stall, typically 160-170° range, this speeds things up a bit. However, there is no reason you have to foil. Many people smoke straight through from refer to 195° then foil and rest. Bark is all about heat and time. Sugar in a rub contributes to the Bark but many don't like sweet beef so they only apply S & P and maybe Onion and Garlic Powder. Bark is either a long time at 225 or quicker at higher heat. You have to play...JJ

Most foil at the stall, typically 160-170° range, this speeds things up a bit. However, there is no reason you have to foil. Many people smoke straight through from refer to 195° then foil and rest. Bark is all about heat and time. Sugar in a rub contributes to the Bark but many don't like sweet beef so they only apply S & P and maybe Onion and Garlic Powder. Bark is either a long time at 225 or quicker at higher heat. You have to play...JJ
I'll take any excuse to use the smoker! Thanks again JJ!

You closed the vents after the smoke was over right? After 6 hrs?
Had them closed whole time, tried to steam for juiciness. No bark, but seeing as I whiffed so badly on this cook, might've been the only thing that saved me.
I stopped adding chips at 6hrs.

I missed the Closed Vent the first time. It can lead to a stale smoke that will give a bitter flavor to the meat. Additionally a closed vent hurts the desired convection and drafting in the MES. You really should leave it 100% open and fill the water pan if a more moist smoke is your goal...JJ

I missed the Closed Vent the first time. It can lead to a stale smoke that will give a bitter flavor to the meat. Additionally a closed vent hurts the desired convection and drafting in the MES. You really should leave it 100% open and fill the water pan if a more moist smoke is your goal...JJ
Yeah, I think I killed my flame too. Element makes temp and shuts off. Just did chicken thighs with vent fully open, huge difference.
In just the few days I've been here, I've seen SO many ways I went wrong on that brisket. :D

That's why we are here. Back when I started there was nothing like SMF, so after making some bad food my smoker sat in the back of the Garage for years. I got better over time but SMF improved my game hundreds of times in just a few weeks of reading about all my mistakes...JJ

as far as bark goes... watt burners (electrics)... they don't do much for bark... the only time you want the top vent closed is when done cooking to keep critters out....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky