First Boston Butt smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
john.......i have never foiled a butt, or did the cooler trick...........but i plan my smoke on butts to finish in time for the meal.........with a 1/2 hour rest in which i tent the butt..........i find if you foil, as i am sure others have said......you will lose your barq........and to me, the barq is supreme to me.....

now i do foil and the cooler trick for briskets...........but haven't seen the need YET to have to wrap..........but the butts i get only run round 6 lbs.....

i cook to bout 190.........take it in the house.......let it rest, and rise to 200 to pull...........butts, in MY opinion, are NOT condusive for slicing.......you need a pork loin for that...........

as for reheating.......i use our rice steamer..........to reheat......it adds moisture while it reheats.........maybe if you can figure out a way to reheat that large of amount using steam.........you should be fine

hth

@ John

Walking dude has a couple of points there. I do find that the foil will tend to turn the bark into more of a soft skin or let it slip off in parts or whole depending on my luck. Some folks don't foil at all. I try to foil for what I would guess is the last hour just to try and catch some of the last and best cooked juices to be redispersed into the meat while resting. The thing is that guessing when the last hour starts is like trying to hit the lotto. Almost impossible. So sometimes the foil is on for the target hour, sometimes less and sometimes more. I like a stronger smoke flavor and throw smoke to the meat as long as I can.

Slicing, is traditionally reserved for the picinc portion of the shoulder

I just put it in a bowl covered wth plastic wrap or a plastic bag and nuke it for about 60 seconds - shake it up and nuke it again until it's hot. Unless you make the samies foirst then just nuke it covered!

smokeysmypet,

Inlaws huh, That is where I went.

Walking dude, Well I had to foil them since I was transporting them to my inlaws to pull and eat.

Here is the finished product. I was good, we had hot bbq sweet bbq and the carolina mustard sauce

We demolished the first butt, only about 2 sammies worth left. Has slaw and mashed potatos with it. I pulled the second one and sent some home with family but I got most of it!

-John
c2f55bf9_vbattach15901.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky