First bacon, pink spots on fat side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wijmaar

Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
Hi!
I am currently in the process of my fist home made bacon. First time I flipped the bacon during the cure I noticed these spots on the fat side:

d21db3ab542a3af78b9f34e2b30fb286.jpg

At first I thought they just cut through the fat layer when boning the belly. But when I rinsed of the cure today, I also rinsed of these spots. I am a bit puzzled as to what this could have been? Could it have been cure that somehow solidified a little? I cured the belly using colorozo salt and sugar in a dry cure.

Everything smells and looks fine, but I am still not sure if I can just throw this on the smoker tomorrow or if I cannot trust it.

Thanks a lot and best regards from The Netherlands!

Hi!
I am currently in the process of my fist home made bacon. First time I flipped the bacon during the cure I noticed these spots on the fat side:

d21db3ab542a3af78b9f34e2b30fb286.jpg

At first I thought they just cut through the fat layer when boning the belly. But when I rinsed of the cure today, I also rinsed of these spots. I am a bit puzzled as to what this could have been? Could it have been cure that somehow solidified a little? I cured the belly using colorozo salt and sugar in a dry cure.

Everything smells and looks fine, but I am still not sure if I can just throw this on the smoker tomorrow or if I cannot trust it.

Thanks a lot and best regards from The Netherlands!
@disco @pops6927 are bacon experts. Maybe they can assist. I’ve done plenty of mine in Pops brine but never noticed spots so not sure on advice and wouldn’t want to steer you wrong.

I've not heard of that Cure and Google had nothing on it. It is extremely unlikely that those spots are any kind of Safety issue. Just cut them off if you are worried and proceed. Does the Cure mix you used contain Cure #1 aka, Prague Powder with Sodium Nitrite?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky