First attempt GB Jerky MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Reb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Wellsville PA
This was my first attempt at making ground beef jerky in my MES. I bought a hi mountain jerky gun for stuffing my 5 to 10 pound snack stick batches and it came with seasoning for 2lb.
I had 1.5 pounds of 93% beef so i weighed out the spices that came with my jerky gun for 1.5 pounds. Then i loaded up my jerky gun and btw i ordered some q mats this week as well. Everything went pretty well, jerky looked good before an after, q mats worked very well, but the jerky didnt taste too good, pretty much tasted like pure salt. I am guessing i didnt weight out my spice packet properly.
20181020_162039.jpg
20181020_162453.jpg

In the end so I didnt starve i made another batch of snack sticks to munch on while i work up a ground beef jerky recipe i like.
20181022_084417.jpg

They both look good. Sorry the jerky didn't turn out as expected. I've made tons of jerky (some with ground beef) but have never tried making snack sticks. I'll have to give that a try.

They both look good. Sorry the jerky didn't turn out as expected. I've made tons of jerky (some with ground beef) but have never tried making snack sticks. I'll have to give that a try.
Thank you, ive made alot of sticks n not so much jerky lol. If you want an easy an good tasting stick ive been using AC Leggs snack stick seasoning when im not mixing my own and its pretty good. My dad just asked me if i would make him 20lb its a pretty good seasoning. I just got some of their pepporoni stick seasoning im going to try that next.

Try my recipe. I had 1 3/4 pounds of meat when I developed the recipe. I just adjust based on how much I want to make. I use the cure because it makes me feel better using my Nesco dehydrator. Made this recipe numberous times and everyone seems to like it. Not too hot, not too mild.

Rusty’s Round 2 Jerky
  • 1 3/4 lb extra lean ground beef
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp liquid hickory smoke
  • 1/3 tsp Prague Powder #1 (slighly more)
  • 2 tbsp cracked black pepper
  • 1/3 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky