First attempt at pickling sausages

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by walking dude, Sep 26, 2008.

1. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Man that looks good. Bet the hotdogs will be just as good in there. Ok need to try this..........................

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

next time, i am going to throw some vienna sausages in there, you know, the lil ones in the can..........

also.........if i like this recipe, even maybe fine tune it abit.........a whole pint of lil smokies mite be in order........hmmmmmmmm

3. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Damn Dude you got me wondering how good that is going to be!! Looks great.

4. lol
    first time i've ever heard of pickled sausages.
    or come to that pickled meat of any kind.
    we definitely don't get them over here :)

as for the 'why ?'
    somewhere in eastern europe they pickle slugs. not special slugs, the ordinary big orange and black ones.
    okay not a sausage but similiar principle ;-) lol
    i probably would never think to process slugs for eating
    likewise the idea of pickling sausages - not an idea that comes easily to mind :)

5. I am wondering too!!!!

6. walking dude

let you all know tomorrow afternoon, when i crack one of the two jars

7. doctor phreak

doctor phreak Smoking Fanatic

DUDE HAVE YOU HAD A CHANCE TO CRACK ONE YET...STILL WAITING [​IMG]

8. walking dude

LOLOL.........waiting for the cubs game to start..........have to be watching a ball game to REALLY enjoy these.............Patience glass-hopper

9. doctor phreak

sittin on hands waiting...pAtIeNcAlY.... [​IMG]

10. oleolson

oleolson Meat Mopper

Looks good Dude! I didn't get a chance to try out the recipe yet. Too much going on this weekend. Duck season opened here yesterday so I had to get out and blast a few.

11. walking dude

oh my lord.............d88de is in heaven

GOD, are these things good.

my brine wasnt' enougth to get withing a 1/2 inch of the top, so, as i have read, i topped it up with str8 vinegar. NOTE TO SELF........dilute that if you have to do that again, or make MORE BRINE.......or stuff more meat in........LOLOL....was abit tart

and maybe 1 TEASPOON of red pepper flakes, instead of the TBLSP that i used............ah hum...........heat not in the mouth, but sneaks up in the belly.............but YUM

the other jar i will wait a week on it, and see how the longer time affects this recipe.......

BUT THIS IS A KEEPER FOLKS................true dat............

sweet nanners were great, have yet to pick out a how wax......d88de is SKEERED...lolol

its a lazy day, so i didn't do anything special for settings of these pics. the jar sitting right here next to me at my computer desk.......lol

jar just opened.........the smell........oh my lord.....very gardenie, is thats a werd

[​IMG]

the sausage.........took on a nice red color....but sitting longer i imagaine the other jar, they will turn redder

[​IMG]

and the all important veggies...........

[​IMG]

man......REALLY glad i took this plunge.........okay folks......YOUR turn now to try it.................

12. daboys

daboys Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sittin here watching football, was doing just fine. Now I see this and I have to go find something to snack on! Nice job Steve. That is going on the to do list for sure.

13. walking dude

mark........you not watching the CUBS???? shame SHAME! ! !

14. daboys

daboys Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

LOL!!! Just called my mom and she said the same thing!

15. oleolson

oleolson Meat Mopper

Looks appetizing. Should go good with some beer.

16. walking dude

darn STR8 ole..........tho not with oly (olympia beer).........lololol

17. doctor phreak

dude those look great in fact after seeing i called my wife ( which happens to be at the store ) gave her the list of what i need and hopefully i will reproduce what you have done with a little mod but as soon as i can do it i will post pics..damn those look good....nice job
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. walking dude

what kind of mod..........i may use it.........tell her to get 2LBS of sausage.......that way you won't have to use hot dogs..........stuff the jars fuller than what i did, and the amounts of brine i listed should be enuff for either 2 quarts, or 4 pints..........

19. doctor phreak

i don't know what mod yet..i do like heat..so i will sit and think about and when i get ready i will post pics.....

20. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

CA... you REALLY need to get outta the centuries old culinary doldrums and hop the pond some time ;{)