First attempt at bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wasi

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Took my first attempt at bacon. I had a 5LB pork belly from Costco and used the following rub:

1/4 cup kosher salt
2 teaspoons pink curing salt
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

I let it sit in the fridge for 2 weeks vacuum sealed and flipped it every day for two weeks. Took it out of the bag and placed it back in the fridge for 2 days uncovered. Cold smoked it on the offset using A-MAZE-N 12-18 pellet tube with apple wood dust for about 12 hours. Then placed it back in the fridge for 2 more days before slicing it.

I think the only thing I would change is the meat slicer I have as it did not do a good job of slicing the meat correctly. Going to have BLT sandwiches this week and after the wife tasted it I believe we will be making it again.

Attachments

• 20181008_111747.jpg
    20181008_111747.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190903_181330.jpg
    20190903_181330.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190908_114225.jpg
    20190908_114225.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 40
Took my first attempt at bacon. I had a 5LB pork belly from Costco and used the following rub:

1/4 cup kosher salt
2 teaspoons pink curing salt
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

I let it sit in the fridge for 2 weeks vacuum sealed and flipped it every day for two weeks. Took it out of the bag and placed it back in the fridge for 2 days uncovered. Cold smoked it on the offset using A-MAZE-N 12-18 pellet tube with apple wood dust for about 12 hours. Then placed it back in the fridge for 2 more days before slicing it.

I think the only thing I would change is the meat slicer I have as it did not do a good job of slicing the meat correctly. Going to have BLT sandwiches this week and after the wife tasted it I believe we will be making it again.

I'm a TQ user, but if I'm not mistaken a 5 pound piece of Belly calls for 1 tsp of Pink Salt (Cure#1), not 2 tsp.

Bear

Bear is correct... 1 tsp. cure#1 for 5#'s of meat...

And a couple hours in the freezer sure makes it slice easier and makes thinner slices...

Looks good . Do you par freeze before slicing .? That helps .
No I did not par freeze but I will be doing that next time for sure. The slicer still needs to be upgraded it was a cheep JCPenny brand.

You are hooked now. Nothing like homemade bacon and you can tweak the recipe anyway you like.
Take a look at the Chefs Choice 615 slicer. It is a good home unit for not too much money. If you go that route get the additional smooth blade. I think they come standard with a serrated blade.

You are hooked now. Nothing like homemade bacon and you can tweak the recipe anyway you like.
Take a look at the Chefs Choice 615 slicer. It is a good home unit for not too much money. If you go that route get the additional smooth blade. I think they come standard with a serrated blade.
It is funny that you mention that slicer because this is the one I was looking at and looking for reviews before I pull the trigger.

Looks awesome! I just did my first bacon and considered just cold smoking but decided that hot smoked bacon would be easier to slice for my first go at it.

I'm a TQ user, but if I'm not mistaken a 5 pound piece of Belly calls for 1 tsp of Pink Salt (Cure#1), not 2 tsp.

Bear
I'm glad you mentioned this because when researching recipes I noticed that some cooks call for 2 tsp of pink salt #1 per 5 pounds of belly. Michael Ruhlman, who is considered somewhat of an authority on cured meats (with numerous cookbooks), uses 2 tsp per 5 pounds and I always thought that was odd. I'm not sure why or how pork belly could be an exception to the 1 tsp per 5 pounds rule.

Looks awesome! I just did my first bacon and considered just cold smoking but decided that hot smoked bacon would be easier to slice for my first go at it.

I'm glad you mentioned this because when researching recipes I noticed that some cooks call for 2 tsp of pink salt #1 per 5 pounds of belly. Michael Ruhlman, who is considered somewhat of an authority on cured meats (with numerous cookbooks), uses 2 tsp per 5 pounds and I always thought that was odd. I'm not sure why or how pork belly could be an exception to the 1 tsp per 5 pounds rule.

Omnivore, morning... You hanging around this forum know more than Ruhlman..

The first time I made bacon my daughter told me I ruined bacon for her. She won't buy it from the store anymore.

I think some of those books have Misprints, and once they sell Thousands of them, it's kinda hard to recall them & fix them.
If we misspeak on this forum, somebody will correct it shortly after.

Bear

Reactions: Omnivore
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky