First all-nighter, Boston Butt w/Q-vue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scootermagoo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Algoma, WI
Here are 2 pictures of my 30 lbs. of Boston Butts.  I used the potato cam, so the pictures are not that great.  The butts turned out great.  I smoked them on my heavily modified Chargriller-Pro.  It was cold out, about 15 degrees.  It worked pretty hard at first to keep temps up, but once the meat started to heat up, it went better.

About the meat:

(4) Boston Butts from Sam's ranging from 6.5 to 8.5 lbs.  No injections, just dry rubs a few hours before placing them in the pit.  I was up every 2 hours to re-stoke.  I went through 1 1/2, 20 lb. bags of charcoal briquettes and lump.  Surprising, it only took a little over 11 hours at 225°.  I was expecting 13 to 14 hours.  I ended up pulling htem off at about 195°.  They blasted right through the stall.  Being done so early, I set the oven to 160° (as low as it could go), and they rested in there, uncovered, for 4.5 - 5 hours before I pulled them.  I wanted the bark crispy, not mushy.  They were incredible when I pulled them, moist and unbelievable.  Silky smooth, and delicious.

PORK:

BONUS PICTURES:

Modified Chargriller-Pro w/ home made stoker.  Obviously, this picture was taken last spring.

What was in there?

THIS!

2 whole, brined chickens draped with bacon.

YUMMYYYYY!  Major drool factor here! 
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky