Firing up the smoker this afternoon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
I'm taking a half day off, we're slow here at work, so I'm stopping at BJ's Wholesale on the way home to grab something smokeable... I'm thinking a meatloaf for dinner would be nice.

I'm too impatient to wait for the weekend to test out these new mods on my CG!

I'll post the smoke later today...

Sounds good, looking foreward to seeing the results.

C'mon hawg, how'd it go, wanna hear how your mods worked
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Sorry I didn't get back here last night, it got really sleepy out. So here goes...

Meatloaf it was, along with ABTs! Both turned out AWESOME!!!

I used a combo of ground pork and ground beef in the meatloaf, along with onion, garlic, green pepper, breadcrumbs, eggs, a little ketchup, milk, salt and pepper. I got the smoker up to 250, set up the ET-73, then hit the grates. I put the ABT's on about 30 minutes before the meatloaf was done. I removed the meatloaf at 160, then stoked the smoker up to 300 to finish off the ABTs.

Now for the mods. The baffle worked great... that totally eliminated the hot spot. I need to play with the tuning plates a little more to get the feel of them. I was having a little trouble getting up to temp, so I removed one of them (there are three) at the baffle end... all was well after that. I need to do a few more smokes I think.

I got a few pix of the evening's bounty... I really need a new camera! The one on the left is the meatloaf as it was going into the smoker, center is the awesome ABTs, and last is what was left of the meatloaf. That's gonna be my sammich for lunch!

I forgot to tell you guys about the chimney performance. OUTSTANDING! I loaded it up about half way with lump charcoal, placed it on the turkey fryer burner and got it started. I had hot coals in about 5 minutes!

I love it when stuff I build works!
biggrin.gif

Food looked great hawg. I also had the same problem with the tunning plates on mine and had to take 2 out. They would work in mine if I turned it into a reverse flow smoker but am gonna leave it just like it is.

They are pieces of sheet metal laying across the bottom of the smoking chamber and just above the baffle. The heat comes out of the SFB, under these plates, heating them up, which in theory, should help even out the heat from one end to the other. They can be moved around or eliminated to achieve the desired effect. I think they might be overkill in my situation though...

Hawg did you modify the smoke stack also?. I had a new bransfuls similar to your smoker and and put in the deflector plate and 1 tuning plate then moved the smoke stack to the end of the barrel and cut in just below the grates. I gave the smoker to my son-in-law and I guess he has not fired it up since the mods were made looks like I will have too just to see how it works. When I do I'll let you know how it performed.

Yes, I did modify the smoke stack. I installed a length of flexible dry vent tubing to extend the stack to grate level. Seems to work well...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky