Fireproof File cabinet Smoker

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by dhinmn, May 31, 2015.

1. dhinmn

dhinmn Newbie

Hi everyone,

As my first build I decided to take advantage of having a fireproof file cabinet.
    The Cabinet was donated by an acquaintance who wanted it gone from his place.

I had a few concerns about when it was. Built and if asbestos was present. Long story short - it was good to go.

Each drawer was compartmentalized and had a plaster / wire mesh division in between, after cutting those, I made the decision and cut the bottom of the top 3 drawers.
    The bottom drawer is being used as the fire box.

I found out is very efficient ( in my opinion ) ) brought the temperature up to 220 and every hour I would add a block of oak 4" x 4" and would hold temp for about 50in +-.

Here is another pic

I would greatly appreciate any advice-

I still need to add permanent temp Gages

I actually used as a grill today. :D

Thanks for looking at my project

DH

2. dhinmn

dhinmn Newbie

3. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I don't know how to build a damn thing but al I know is that is awesome! Really cool idea!

4. dhinmn

dhinmn Newbie

[USER=]@worktogthr - I not a crafty guy at all, it was very simple to do. the harderst prt was finding enough information before hand. And having the right tools - total moneys spent was close to $40.00 - [/USER]

5. comosmoker

comosmoker Smoke Blower

That is so awesome!!!  I was actually looking for an old cabinet earlier today here at work.  I want to make one!!  

6. fuzzy0026

fuzzy0026 Fire Starter

I am doing a File Cabinet build and was wondering if you put a drip tray in anywhere?  The one that I have is not fireproof and I am in the process of burning out the inside (to get rid of paint and other crap).  Did you just cut a big hole in the bottom of all the drawers?  I am planning on doing a gas one, with a burner on the bottom, along with a tray for chips or AMNPS unit.

Any other input I can get from you is welcomed. 

7. stagsmoker

stagsmoker Fire Starter

Here's mine it wasn't insulated so I did it myself. I got 3 temp gauges off ebay for $21. works great with electric or charcoal.

8. fuzzy0026

fuzzy0026 Fire Starter

Do you have a picture of the inside?  I am trying to figure out where to put stuff.  Gas Burner on the bottom, chip tray above it, drip tray? 

9. stagsmoker

stagsmoker Fire Starter

2 are like the top pic then 1 is the bottom. I just use a cheap aluminum pan for the drippins. I use a double burner hot plate most of the time and have a small cast iron pan I put wood chips in. Hope this helps. 

10. fuzzy0026

fuzzy0026 Fire Starter

Where do you put the aluminum pan then?  Does it just sit in the drawer with the 8 holes in it?  What did you do for racks in the top 2 drawers?  And yes, every little bit helps.

11. stagsmoker

stagsmoker Fire Starter

Usually I only use 2 drawers so I put it in the lowest one. I went to the scrap yard and got stove racks and cut them to fit. The deals that use to hold the files I cut so I have multiple racks in each drawer.

12. fuzzy0026

fuzzy0026 Fire Starter

Yeah, that is where my problem lies, my cabinet is only 3 drawers, but it is legal size so wider than normal.  I have a Holland gas grill that is rusting out so I plan on using the drip tray from that and the rack.  Maybe the smoke stacks, the side shelving and whatever else I can rob from it.