Firebox Rust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
After trying all sorts of high-temp paints and watching them flake, crumble and peel off, I think I finally found a solution to keep the rust at bay.

I was surfing the internet one day (thanks Al Gore), when I stumbled across a post by a gentleman who was having the same difficulties as me. His solution was to sand/wirebrush all the loose paint and rust off the affected area, wipe clean, then apply vegetable oil and build a fire. The idea is to "season" it like you would an iron skillet.

I tried this and it seems to work well, at least so far. Plus, it turns black, like the paint! I figure if I keep treating it, it should never rust again... at least from the outside...

Anyone try this?

I never tried it before.But sounds like a good idea.
I'm going to try it on my Case (ecb).It is flaking and rusting on the bottom.
Thanks for the idea,
Brian

Header paint stays to 1200F. Mine's worked in grills for years, but you repaint once a year. Once you've oiled it, though, the paint won't stay on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky