Firebox question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JustinLoos

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Perrysburg, Ohio
I have a 20” Horizon offset smoker. My question is about the firebox. Should I be using this grate to build my fire on top of? Or should I remove the grate and build the fire on the bottom of the firebox? What are the pros and cons?

B1C2C30A-4A69-4B3B-8CDE-5F67CB57B0F6.jpeg
0E1F7D8D-7D3D-4256-922B-ECC4802D153F.jpeg

Last edited:
Keep it. It's there to promote airflow around the wood. Nice hockey rink
Exactly. You will find both schools of thought on this. With the rounded firebox and splits, you can shovel out ash from underneath the wood if you go with no grate. However, I agree that more air will flow in a firebox of this size when using the grate.

This should be an interesting discussion.

You need a gap from the bottom of the fire to the bottom of the firebox both for fuel air and the ability to remove ash on a long cook. You also need a damper in the upper firebox to control airflow of the hot air through the cook chamber.

I had a cheap offset. To me that grate is worse than the original grate in my cheapo.
I made a fuel basket that held a lot of splits and charcoal. It spaced heat away from the bottom and the sides of the firebox .
Ignore the angle irons. I had a brainstorm to make an upper shield to direct more heat into the cook chamber. Tossed cheapo before completing the concept
View attachment 470907

Reactions: JustinLoos
You need a gap from the bottom of the fire to the bottom of the firebox both for fuel air and the ability to remove ash on a long cook. You also need a damper in the upper firebox to control airflow of the hot air through the cook chamber.

I had a cheap offset. To me that grate is worse than the original grate in my cheapo.
I made a fuel basket that held a lot of splits and charcoal. It spaced heat away from the bottom and the sides of the firebox .
Ignore the angle irons. I had a brainstorm to make an upper shield to direct more heat into the cook chamber. Tossed cheapo before completing the concept
View attachment 470907

for some reason I can’t see the picture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky