Firebox door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gsuders86

Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Going to be building a block/cedar smokehouse with a offset firebox. I plan on using block with firebrick lining the inside. I'm thinking about making my own door and vents. The firebox I have planned will be 18"x18"x16". I'm thinking of a 12"x16" main door and than a 3" sliding vent on the bottom. What thickness metal would be okay to use? I was thinking 3/16 as that's all the thicker I can weld with my welder but I do have buddies that have better welders if I need to go thicker.

Reactions: kruizer
Personally I think it is a little thin I would think about welding some angle iron to it so it doesn't warp on you,

When a welder says that you can only weld up to 3/16” it means in a single pass. You can weld thicker material with multiple passes. Especially if it is not a structural weld.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky