Fire Box inconsistencies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fire needs air/oxygen.  Can't really tell how much space you have underneath the fire grate, but it looks like that fire is just starving for air. 

Looks like not enough room under the grate. Post a bunch of pics of your whole set up. 

The more info your give, the more accurate the answers will be.

Sorry for the delay in getting back a response.
Here are pics of my setup.

Empty fire box.

Heat shield out and installed

Charcoal grate out and installed.

Pic thru the damper and measurement.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

r2

it's borderline for the height of the coal tray.  Maybe jam some rebar under it to stop it saggin. 

I see there is not door seal, so you may not have much draw on the smoker. post some pics of the whole smoker set up.

Maybe yo have a leaky smoker and the stack is not drawing correctly.

You could put like 4 nuts and washers with bolts in there so it's raised another half inch.. and will be sure to keep that expanded metal from druping. 4 bolts keeping the central area elevated good would be nice. Like little stand legs. A basket with angle iron frame would be ideal.

Last edited:
It's a good idea.. kinda sorta... the next problem I see will be that the ashes won't fall through doubled up grate now... by doubling it up like that it makes the holes smaller ... harder for the ashes to fall out with out a hard shake ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky