Fire box help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Aaron@G

Original poster
May 11, 2021
I built my rf offset and I have a 5" lip at the top of my fb meetin up to the cook chamber, now I know this makes my fb side in the cc hotter, my question is can I weld a plate uptop inside the firebox to make the top smooth into the cc and get rid of the hotter side or is this not gona solve my problem?

Attachments

• 20210504_071701.jpg
    20210504_071701.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: kruizer
Just put a water pan on the grate next to the firebox & the temps will even out. I use a welded s/s drywall mud pan in my Lang. Had to order it online, cause all HD has is crimped sides & they leak with just water in them. I also extended the stack down about 6” & that leveled out the top to bottom temps. Will see if I can find a pic. Here you go!

I just thought I would share what I have done to my Lang 36 Patio to get even temps across the entire cooking chamber, including not having the top rack running hotter than the bottom.
I simply put a bread pan full of water next to the fire box, & extended the stack down into the cc about 6 inches.

img_0002-jpg.jpg
I also added a couple of more gauges and you can see that the entire cooker is running about the same temp!

img_0003-jpg.jpg
When I first got it, the fire box end was about 20 degrees hotter than the other end & the top rack was about 20 degrees hotter than the bottom rack. But with a little tinkering it is even all the way thru. Very easy fix!!
After this photo the bread pan rusted thru, that’s when I bought the s/s mud pan.
Al

Last edited:
Just put a water pan on the grate next to the firebox & the temps will even out. I use a welded s/s drywall mud pan in my Lang. Had to order it online, cause all HD has is crimped sides & they leak with just water in them. I also extended the stack down about 6” & that leveled out the top to bottom temps. Will see if I can find a pic. Here you go!

I just thought I would share what I have done to my Lang 36 Patio to get even temps across the entire cooking chamber, including not having the top rack running hotter than the bottom.
I simply put a bread pan full of water next to the fire box, & extended the stack down into the cc about 6 inches.

View attachment 496025
I also added a couple of more gauges and you can see that the entire cooker is running about the same temp!

View attachment 496026
When I first got it, the fire box end was about 20 degrees hotter than the other end & the top rack was about 20 degrees hotter than the bottom rack. But with a little tinkering it is even all the way thru. Very easy fix!!
After this photo the bread pan rusted thru, that’s when I bought the s/s mud pan.
Al
Dose urs have the lip at the top as well or Is it smooth flow from fb to cc?

It’s a reverse flow, so it’s a smooth flow from the firebox. The main thing is how does your smoker draw the smoke & heat. Mine will draw it with just a AMNPS in the firebox, no fire or heat.
Al

Mine draws super well so I think the lip at the top in my pic is causing my temp prob, ill prob cut the fb off and cut the half moon lip out and lower it and patch the holes in

I was thinkin of puttin a plate at the top of the fb but I think that would make my fb 2 small, its almost 2 small now according to feldions calc

embrace your hot end… I like having a hotspot. When I do a big cook I put my larger Boston butts on the hot side and smaller ones on the cool side and it works out quite well

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky