Fire box bottom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derekc

Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Hey guys, im new here.

So built myself a dual (one on top of the other) horizontal UDS.
Almost done the build, but ive come to the interior of the firebox.

My plan is to burn with hardwood as my main heat source.
Im really not sure what I should do for the bottom of the drum where I burn the wood on.

I heard sand at the bottom is a no no as it will just eat away the metal faster as its holds humidity. Then I though of maybe removable trays of sand at bottom so its not touching the actual drum. then perhaps fabricating some sort of wire mesh to place over the sand so I can put the logs on that?.

My other thought was simple getting steel baking trays, drilling some holes in it for some air flow and suspending it by side brackets a few inches over the bottom of the drum..

Im just not sure the best way to go about this. I should add in im trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

any help or insight would be appreciated.

Reactions: Walchit
Be nice to see photo of what u r working with. Thinking a double barrel wood stove? How about fire brick. They’re not that costly

Well I have no pics at the moment, but honestly just think of 2x 55 gallon drums horizontally stacked one atop the other.

Although from the exterior the firebox and the cook chamber will look the same size, I will be using the smoker pit calculations to make the interior of the firebox to recommended size.

But before that i need to make a decent base on the drum.

I was thinking of something like this. would be easy to fabricate out of 1’’ angle steel. i will look into the fire bricks

Attachments

• 74A21CF9-8D17-4C55-B7A8-10AA7BAF41F1.jpeg
    74A21CF9-8D17-4C55-B7A8-10AA7BAF41F1.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 26
Often you can find fire brick at Fireplace/wood stove dealers.
I was given a nice little old air tight stove once. I went to a fireplace/wood stove store and was able to get stove lining firebrick to make it better than it ever was.
You may have to cut to fit for your drum. Fire brick sets in place, no mortar. So fitting it like a well made puzzel is needed.
Wear respiratory protection.

I was thinking of something like this. would be easy to fabricate out of 1’’ angle steel. i will look into the fire bricks

You could. But steel and drums eventually burn out and also rust through.
So for longevity, firebrick is used where the actual burning wood and coals are.
Fire brick is easier to change, move, rearrange, or replace than a bottom, firebox, or your entire smoker is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky