Finishing off briskets in cheap electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdoyle112

Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Hey all. I have a standard offset stick burner which I love. But I don't exactly have the time to do all day 14hr smokes anymore. I have started using the approach of 5-6 hours starting on the smoker which is enough time for the smoke to penetrate, then wrap and finish in the oven for another 5 hours or so. Works fine and allows me to smoke more often since it's less of a commitment.

The problem is my house reeks of bbq afterwards which the wife does not appreciate lol. I'm thinking of buying a cheap electric smoker to basically serve the same purpose as the oven but outdoors. Has anyone used these before? Wondering how reliable they can hold a low temp (200-250). Thanks!

A fairly cheap, electric smoker will do a decent job holding low temps. Temps fluctuate a bit though, since the heating element is either on or off. Depending on your location, you may have issues with outdoor temps being too low. I find anything under 50°f starts to effect how consistent the smoker can cook.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky