Finish Oven the Next Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawny2005

Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
I vastly underestimated my time cooking.

6am - start smoker
11am - take off smoker put into oven at 230
11pm - internal temp was 184.

I pulled it out and put it into the fridge. It's ok, but want it more tender (195+)

What do you think about continuing the cook today after sitting in the fridge for an night?

Reactions: kruizer
Other than the fact this thread is in the pork section there's not much info.

1.What did you cook?A butt I'm assuming.
2,Actual time your meat spent in the smoker?
3.What temp was it when you removed it from the smoker?
4.When it went into the oven did you wrap?I'm going to assume not if after more than 16hrs you were still at 184IT.

And what kind/type of smoker?Electric,propane,charcoal,wood?

And it never hurts to check the accuracy of the thermometer you're using.

As far as finishing the next day after being in the fridge overnight...your pork won't be bad as far as food safety goes.If its a butt you cooked I'd pull/slice it and reheat with some liquid in a covered pan and see how it is!

Last edited:
You're fine. You can cut it into smaller chunks with a bit of liquid to get it to fall apart faster. You could warm up in crock pot or stove top for faster results. Next time don't be afraid to crank up the oven in order to eat faster.

Reactions: kruizer
Other than the fact this thread is in the pork section there's not much info.

1.What did you cook?A butt I'm assuming.
2,Actual time your meat spent in the smoker?
3.What temp was it when you removed it from the smoker?
4.When it went into the oven did you wrap?I'm going to assume not if after more than 16hrs you were still at 184IT.

And what kind/type of smoker?Electric,propane,charcoal,wood?

1) yup a butt
2) 4.5 hours in the smoker
3) 150 when I pulled it out, (but it went right into the oven)
4) yup, I wrapped it over the pan.

I have an old school sidecar smoker (I used charcoal and woodchips) that I used with a new inkbird probe reader

I tried, but it seemed to be drying out a lot. I just sliced it up and will budget more next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky