Fine tuning Mypin PID T-Series Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, now I'm confused. You are saying you had to adjust the PID display by 92.6 degrees to get it read right on the PID display? That is a huge problem.

It is starting to sound like you have a flaky PID. That's not unheard of. Believe it or not they even knock of MYPIN units in China. Do you have another PID to try? You are not the first person I've talked with that found they had a bad/flaky MYPIN PID. They are a little more money that a ebay MYPIN, but it's hard to beat the Auber Instruments models (they are in the USA in Kennesaw, GA) and they stand behind their products and have very good tech support.
Yes that is the adjustment I made to calibrate it. I put the thermocouple in ice water and set the off set. Then I set it up in my incubator and had 2 thermometers inside and I calibrated it to the mercury thermometer. I have not tried my other pid from my smoker. I do however have 1 new one coming and I Just bought another one tonight. I’ve had pretty good luck with these. I think I did replace my smoker pid awhile ago but can’t remember.

I also should mention I’m using a SSR with this. You don’t think it’s anything to do with that do you?

Last edited:
I also should mention I’m using a SSR with this. You don’t think it’s anything to do with that do you?

No the output you listed is set for SSR and the SSR is working. The SSR output is just a low voltage control signal that when present tells the SSR to turn "ON" (simplified explanation). If the SSR LED is on when it should be and it's controlling the element, it is working.

So back to that offset. So with the probe in ice water you had a negative reading on the PID temp and had to add an offset of a positive 92.6 to get it to read 32 degrees F. Correct?

No the output you listed is set for SSR and the SSR is working. The SSR output is just a low voltage control signal that when present tells the SSR to turn "ON" (simplified explanation). If the SSR LED is on when it should be and it's controlling the element, it is working.

So back to that offset. So with the probe in ice water you had a negative reading on the PID temp and had to add an offset of a positive 92.6 to get it to read 32 degrees F. Correct?
I believe so??

give boiling water a try.. the tip of the thermocouple not touching any metal of the pan ... pending your elevation it should be 212`...

Just to clarify. If you had to use a 92* offset to display the temp of ice water, something is BAD WRONG, probably with the PID. If it's working now, I would not touch it and try not to open the incubator until the eggs are done(hatched). Hopefully it will get you through this brood, but I would not start another one.

Just to clarify. If you had to use a 92* offset to display the temp of ice water, something is BAD WRONG, probably with the PID. If it's working now, I would not touch it and try not to open the incubator until the eggs are done(hatched). Hopefully it will get you through this brood, but I would not start another one.
Right. I’m going to hook up another pid when these are done. I think the other thermocouple I tried had a 220* off set

Right. I’m going to hook up another pid when these are done. I think the other thermocouple I tried had a 220* off set

Yep, you have a flaky PID. I just hope this hatch of eggs goes alright, but I would not run another until this is resolved.

I hope when I get home tonight I have a new one there because I wanted to candle my eggs tonight so that would be a good time to swap it out

I don't think there is a keypad function to reset a MYPIN, nor is there a reset button to push with a small tool.

I know you said you have another temp probe, but do you have another SSR? If so you could do a dry run of the new PID to see if is working properly before trying to swap it out. Also remember you will need to run an auto-tune cycle on the new PID. I would *NOT* trust the auto tune results from the flaky one. That cycle will take a while and I don't know if you want eggs in that process (unless you are prepared to write off this hatch due to the first PID issues).

Your call, but if it's stable now you may want to let it run until this hatch is done then tinker with it.

I candled the eggs tonight with my boy and kinda had a hard time getting the temp stable. Had to hit auto tune several times and open it up to let some heat out but think it’s stable now. I don’t think I have another ssr A 25A ssr is plenty big right?

Also do you know what auber pid would work good for me. Auber SYL-1512A? I’m going to order one

Last edited:
Pretty sure mine (auber) has a default reset somewhere in the programming... read the manual and see if there isn't a reset somewhere in the settings.. I am not familiar with the MYPIN so it may not have that option ..

Pretty sure mine (auber) has a default reset somewhere in the programming... read the manual and see if there isn't a reset somewhere in the settings.. I am not familiar with the MYPIN so it may not have that option ..
I’m not so sure mine does and the directions are not very clear.I am going to order up one of those auber PID’s so at least I have local support if I need it besides the forum

Call up Auber and they will help you choose the correct model. They have excellent tech support. I may suggest one model, but they have vastly more experience with all their models. Just tell them what you are using the unit for and what components you are going to use.

Auber Instruments, Inc.
5755 North Point Parkway, Suite 99
Alpharetta, GA 30022 USA

Tech Support: [email protected]
Phone:
(770) 569-8420
(404) 926-6098
(404) 983-8228
Office hours: M -F, 9AM - 5PM ET.

Call up Auber and they will help you choose the correct model. They have excellent tech support. I may suggest one model, but they have vastly more experience with all their models. Just tell them what you are using the unit for and what components you are going to use.

Auber Instruments, Inc.
5755 North Point Parkway, Suite 99
Alpharetta, GA 30022 USA

Tech Support: [email protected]
Phone:
(770) 569-8420
(404) 926-6098
(404) 983-8228
Office hours: M -F, 9AM - 5PM ET.
I did just that today and ordered one up. Thank you

I received my new auber pid today and just wanted to make sure I’m hooking it up correct so I don’t fry it
Pin 1&2 obviously are power in
Pin 6-10 are self explanatory
Now do I need a jumper wire form pin 11 to 13 or do I not need to do anything with the rest of the pins? SYL-2362 is the pid model number. Thank you

Attachments

• 1880E0D9-4CD5-4FDF-98A2-79DFDAA9BD01.jpeg
    1880E0D9-4CD5-4FDF-98A2-79DFDAA9BD01.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 5F748429-2958-4C4B-9042-E91792E355EE.jpeg
    5F748429-2958-4C4B-9042-E91792E355EE.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
  • A62F48DD-4BF1-4A91-A48D-66024F580E8C.jpeg
    A62F48DD-4BF1-4A91-A48D-66024F580E8C.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky