Finding Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joe black

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
So, I usually use RO briqs to light my RO lump and for grilling. I went to Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart today to get some briqs. I already have a stock of lump. None of these places had any briqs. The 3 largest retailers did not have any RO briqs.

Does anybody know whats going on with these folks? Why are they not carrying Royal Oak briquetts?

TIA, Joe

So it's just not me. Can't find RO or Stumps either in my local brick and mortar. Really getting frustrated with wasting my time looking. Can't trust calling or checking stock on site. Wild goose chase. Entire isles filled with blue bag and store brand. Has everything gone to the web?

Feeling a little guilty up here, they had palettes of royal oak on sale at our Walmart a couple days ago. Guess I should give it a try.

Just left the WM in Greenwood SC, they had at least a pallet of RO charcoal.. $6.58 for an 8.8# bag. Don't know if that's cheap or not but they have it.

Just left the WM in Greenwood SC, they had at least a pallet of RO charcoal.. $6.58 for an 8.8# bag. Don't know if that's cheap or not but they have it.
Im pretty sure that is lump. Joe is looking for RO briqs.

Joe you looking for the presoaked RO briqs? they showed up at my Walmart all over the place recently . i was going to buy some but they were the pre soaked like match light and i wont touch that stuff. ( i just use an electric starter no chemicals please!)

if you aren't opposed to Blue bag just for starting there is a good deal at sam's 2 20# bags for like $20.

phatbac (Aaron)

Last edited:
No ill intentions meant, but I really don't want any KBB anywhere around my smoker. Yes, I use RO briqs in my chimney to light a basket of RO lump to burn down to a good bed of coals. When the lump is fully involved,, I add several pre-heated splits to make sure the process is well underway. I really don't want to introduce any chemicals, off-smells, excess ash or any other KBB problems.

Thanks, if anybody comes across RO briqs, please let me know. Joe

No ill intentions meant, but I really don't want any KBB anywhere around my smoker. Yes, I use RO briqs in my chimney to light a basket of RO lump to burn down to a good bed of coals. When the lump is fully involved,, I add several pre-heated splits to make sure the process is well underway. I really don't want to introduce any chemicals, off-smells, excess ash or any other KBB problems.

Thanks, if anybody comes across RO briqs, please let me know. Joe

I bought a bag of RO and noticed that I go through it alot quicker than KBB. I'm just assuming because it's more wood bi-product than KBB. It also seems to burning hotter than KBB so i had to babysit my WSM this last time. I do like me alot of lump but it's a pain sometimes to start.

Fleet Farm up here sells RO I know.

Im pretty sure that is lump. Joe is looking for RO briqs.

Joe you looking for the presoaked RO briqs? they showed up at my Walmart all over the place recently . i was going to buy some but they were the pre soaked like match light and i wont touch that stuff. ( i just use an electric starter no chemicals please!)

if you aren't opposed to Blue bag just for starting there is a good deal at sam's 2 20# bags for like $20.

phatbac (Aaron)

Yep, it's lump. I saw Royal Oak and the word charcoal and ASSumed it was the briquettes.

My local WalMart has 2 packs(24 pounds total) of RO briqs for $7.84. They also have Stubbs and the new Kingsford all natural briqs in stock. You should ask why they haven't stocked the shelves yet, it is usually because the manager doesn't have a clue about BBQ and grilling IMHO.

My local WalMart has 2 packs(24 pounds total) of RO briqs for $7.84. They also have Stubbs and the new Kingsford all natural briqs in stock. You should ask why they haven't stocked the shelves yet, it is usually because the manager doesn't have a clue about BBQ and grilling IMHO.

That's the truth about that! Old Town near Portland at all in that area? I was out in fall to Maine and loved it. I'm gonna look at my walmart and see what they have for charcoal. (Don't go in there much)

Hi Joe, our local Wally World has pallets of RO here.

Hate to admit to being in there, but I was.

Saw them in there today.

I think you just need to grumble at the manager a bit.

Ed

Last edited:
Royal Oak briquettes have rocks and junk in the bags....like their chunks does?

That's the truth about that! Old Town near Portland at all in that area? I was out in fall to Maine and loved it. I'm gonna look at my walmart and see what they have for charcoal. (Don't go in there much)
I'm a couple hours north of Portland.
Royal Oak briquettes have rocks and junk in the bags....like their chunks does?
No debris in the briquettes that I have found and I've been using their briquettes for years.

FWIW Royal Oak supplies briquettes for many chain stores, basically any briquette that has the "Ridge" is made by Royal Oak.

I've never found any debris in RO briqs. It's a manufactured product and I can't really see how any foreign objects could be packaged with the briqs coming off of an assembly line. Also, I just finished using 8 bags of RO :hijack:lump last year and all I found was 2 small rocks about 1" in diameter and 2" long. I can't complain about that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky