Finally saying hello!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fobar22

Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
So, I joined last summer when I got my first smoker, by now I feel like I might be able to contribute and ask a few questions.

My first smoker was a SFB that I picked up at HomeDepot. I have been happy with my cooks, but I always seem to run out of room on the darn thing! Over the course of a few smoke sessions I made a few mods to the SFB to help get more consistent temps and more efficient use out of the charcoal and wood chunks, mostly it was adding red bricks to absorb heat and help insulate. I also J.B.Welded almost ever seem on the smoker to seal as many air leaks as I could, but honestly the poor manufacturing of the smoker still lead to the doors not sealing well, and the metal bending as I weighed the firebox down with more and more bricks...

Anyways, I feel in love with smoking, and some day hope to start catering for parties or just selling cooked meat on the side.

I have a background in Mechanical Engineering, and a passion of working in the garage building cars. I have had a dream of building my own smoker for the past few months and yesterday I stumbled across a 250 gal propane tank.

I have a new smoker on the way... it will take time, but I am drawing up some plans for it now. It will be trailer mounted, and insulated in every spot that I can insulate. Also I have intent to add some automation to it with some homebrewed electronics to control the airflow/heat.

I look forward to getting some thoughts on my design as I hopefully get some of them on here over the weekend.

See everyone around!

Dave

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Also for those of you new to smoking,  Get a good Probe Thermometer as we smoke by Temperature NOT TIME.

A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732

Welcome to SMF its nice to have ya.. Have fun and happy smoking
welcome1.gif

Welcome to SMF. Sounds like a real interesting build, looking forward to following you along with it.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Thanks for the welcoming to the forum! I will try to get some pictures up of food that I have smoked so far, I'll have to dig for pictures...

So far I have done mostly Boston Butts since they are so easy to get in Georgia, but I have also done 2 turkeys (the best I've ever had), some cornish game hens (also amazing, they used the same brine) Beef brisket (not the best cut but it was alright in the end), and I have attempted spare ribs but I still seem to fare better on those with a good old charcoal grill... I will keep trying though. Oh and some beef jerky, smoked hamburgers, and today I made smoked chili! I love telling people their first bite has to be with no sauce, and the meat turning out so good, they never reach for the sauce!

My favorite day by far started with an early morning hunt, planning on getting home to start smoking a turkey, of course that was the day we got a wild hog. The butcher said it was too small to pay for his services (about 65lb gutted) so we brought it home and quartered just to throw on the smoker while its blood was still warm!!! I had a turkey and all four quarters of the pig cramped on the smoker and the ribs from the hog on the charcoal grill. The next day we had 15lbs of turkey, 30lb of pulled pork, and a pig skull boiling on the stove top! What a cook!

I'm going to start a thread over in the Reverse Flow section tomorrow morning, I look forward to talking about some ideas about my smoker with you guys!

Dave

Welcome - glad to see you back here on the forum. Looking forward to seeing your smoker

Ok, so I didn't exactly smoke the steaks, but here was today's dinner. 3 ribeye steaks weighing in at about 28oz each, and only $6/lb! I couldn't pass up the deal... Keep in mind, this is on a Weber 22 inch grill. I also did some smoked twice baked potatoes on the smoker, but I didn't catch any good pictures of those, they disappeared to quickly!

29_210439_612098293070_11906928_33113627_4382444_o.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky