Finally located a barrel..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtydog207

Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Yarmouth, Maine
So I finally got a barrel. This is my basic plan for the USD Build. Thoughts and opinions are greatly welcomed:

Burn Barrel well

Sand outside and whatnot, do rest of prep work as needed

Going to install three 3/4" vents with two check valves and one capped

Was going to place three shelves:

First about 10 to 15" above fire box for water pan

Second about 12" Down from top

Third about 2.5" down from top for ribs while bbq other things at same time

Going to install a 2 or 3" vent tube with damper

Handle for lid

Paint with high heat paint

Build fire box with expaned metal and a smaller grate

This very rough and basic I know, but fill in the major blanks of I missed something obvious. The small stuff I pretty much know just not willing to type out..

Thanks

Ideally you want your lowest meat rack 24" from the bottom of the fire basket. How I make mine is, I go 27" from the bottom of the drum. I build my charcoal baskets with 2 or 3" legs.  Vents, I drill 1.5" on centre from the bottom of the drum and drill 1" holes to accommodate 3/4" pipe.

Hello !

This topic intrests me because I will be doing UDS also.

I noticed in some photos where guys have (3) small valves installed low in the drum. I'm assuming this is to control air flow in. Is this more in-line with minion method (which I'm learning about) or is this to evenly control flow vs just 1 vent? 

Is the fire basket supposed to be off the floor of the drum? I want to simply burn wood (I have a lot) can/should I not just burn off the bottom of the barrel?

Sorry Dirtydog207 - I hope I'm not mowng your lawn, stealing your smoke etc etc :-)

Dave

Hi Dave!

Yeah, you want the bottom of the fire basket a few inches off the bottom of the barrel for airflow reasons. What that space does, is allows ash to fall from the basket yet still allow air to flow without choking the fire.

Hello !

This topic intrests me because I will be doing UDS also.

I noticed in some photos where guys have (3) small valves installed low in the drum. I'm assuming this is to control air flow in. Is this more in-line with minion method (which I'm learning about) or is this to evenly control flow vs just 1 vent? 

Is the fire basket supposed to be off the floor of the drum? I want to simply burn wood (I have a lot) can/should I not just burn off the bottom of the barrel?

Sorry Dirtydog207 - I hope I'm not mowng your lawn, stealing your smoke etc etc :-)

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky