Finally finished my bags of Kingsford briquettes, so I figured now is the time to try out a new fuel source, but had a few questions..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
I've got a gravity smoker. I'm not sure if that matters, but figured I'd mention it just in case. Also, this is mainly used as a smoker, but I also grill with it.

I've been using the Kingsford briquettes since I got it and finally ran out, and was looking into trying out some other brands.

I know lump charcoal is usually recommended for hot and fast, but it also burns cleaner with less ash. Is the burn time between lump charcoal and briquettes a huge difference, even at smoking temps? If so, is my best bet still using briquettes and if so, are there better briquettes to use than Kingsford, perhaps a brand that doesn't use filler?

I don't mind spending a little more if the time quality of my cooks will be better, and I don't have to worry about random chemicals and materials thrown in with my fuel, but I don't really have the budget to spend a lot on the expensive brands, such as Jealous Devil, so I'm hoping to find something for maybe $35 max, for 30-40lbs. Is this possible?

Basically, I'm asking for better quality cooks, without worry of foreign materials or chemicals, with a good bang for your buck in terms of cost to burn time, for a gravity smoker. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I've got a gravity smoker. I'm not sure if that matters, but figured I'd mention it just in case. Also, this is mainly used as a smoker, but I also grill with it.

I've been using the Kingsford briquettes since I got it and finally ran out, and was looking into trying out some other brands.

I know lump charcoal is usually recommended for hot and fast, but it also burns cleaner with less ash. Is the burn time between lump charcoal and briquettes a huge difference, even at smoking temps? If so, is my best bet still using briquettes and if so, are there better briquettes to use than Kingsford, perhaps a brand that doesn't use filler?

I don't mind spending a little more if the time quality of my cooks will be better, and I don't have to worry about random chemicals and materials thrown in with my fuel, but I don't really have the budget to spend a lot on the expensive brands, such as Jealous Devil, so I'm hoping to find something for maybe $35 max, for 30-40lbs. Is this possible?

Basically, I'm asking for better quality cooks, without worry of foreign materials or chemicals, with a good bang for your buck in terms of cost to burn time, for a gravity smoker. Do you guys have any recommendations?
I’ve got a Gravity 980 and have been using Expert Grill briquets from Walmart. They are rumored to be made by Royal Oak. I’ve been pleased with them after many cooks and price is good.

My experience says briquettes burn longer than charcoal but not as hot.
As for brand the competition Kingsford are good, but I usually burn B&B briquettes in my kettle.

I really like Kingsford professional completion briquettes. I get them at Costco. They are lighter, burn hotter and have less ash.

With Jcam on this one. I think lump is way to go. I used Royal Oak for years in competition and was very pleased. Recently switch to B&B and although I cant tell a diff burn wise there are a lot bigger pieces in B&B. I dont believe I have bought briquettes in last 10 years and dont plan to for rest of my life

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky