Finally.. cooler weather is reaping rewards in my garden...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Tomatoes are doing very well and so are the cukes... I attribute their growth to the new drip irrigation system.... NEVER have I had veggies this size and awesome flavor.....
I will have to can some tomatoes....
Cukes ??? I don't know what to do with them to save for later.... Table cukes don't show any recipes for "winter" use...

DSCF0346.JPG DSCF0345.JPG

I have MANY butternut squash... I will try to make "pie filling".... and freeze it for later...

Good to hear! I remember you were worried a couple of months ago.
Tomato season is over for me. The only ones that did ok were the Romas and I only got 6 pints out of it.
I've given up on squash. I finally found some Butternut plants but they just didn't do well. Same with Zuchinni.
It's been a weird summer. Maybe next year....
I believe SmokinAl has a cucumber pickling method as well.

Not very good year here, my kirby cukes kept turning yellow, tomatoes a total bust. The deer keep topping off my habanero plants, never had them venture into my backyard until this year as there is good concentration of housing here.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Those look so good!

The best tomatoes I can find always end up as gazpacho. Also good just sliced with a slight pinch of smoked salt and a very slight drizzle of olive oil and balsamic (the good stuff, of both). I often turn butternut squash into dip, soup or curry, or pasta, pretty much all of which freeze well. For cucumbers, yes, pickles are certainly a go-to, but maybe also consider cocktails & infusions, if that's your thing - gin is a good & classic choice, but tequila/mezcal also works well (as in a cucumber-flavored margarita). Tzatziki isn't a thing to make "for later" but can do a good job of showcasing tasty cukes in the now. Speaking of Greek food, I've been meaning to pick up some ground lamb for meatballs...

Reactions: daveomak
Good looking maters! Definitely looks like they need some Dukes, salt, pepper, and white bread around 'em!
Jim

Dave, those all look great. Butternut squash is a favorite for roasting and you just reminded me that I haven't done that in a while...

Tomatoes are doing very well and so are the cukes... I attribute their growth to the new drip irrigation system.... NEVER have I had veggies this size and awesome flavor.....
I will have to can some tomatoes....
Cukes ??? I don't know what to do with them to save for later.... Table cukes don't show any recipes for "winter" use...

View attachment 510021 View attachment 510022

I have MANY butternut squash... I will try to make "pie filling".... and freeze it for later...
Awesome. Love to see produce like that from a garden.
And thank you for all your knowledge that makes SMF great.

I was scanning u-tube and it seems butternut squash is used for pumpkin pie... I've made Hubbard squash pie and it was the best "pumpkin" pie I ever ate... I'm hoping b'nut is it's equal...
I've got a pantry full of fermented dill pickles... I'm not sure about "table" cukes being firm enough for pickles.. I just may try them and report what happens...

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
I was scanning u-tube and it seems butternut squash is used for pumpkin pie... I've made Hubbard squash pie and it was the best "pumpkin" pie I ever ate... I'm hoping b'nut is it's equal...
I've got a pantry full of fermented dill pickles... I'm not sure about "table" cukes being firm enough for pickles.. I just may try them and report what happens...
I know the cukes can be frozen as well, but the texture gets soft. Never done it my self.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky