Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Very fun! I checked out your step-by-steps and was looking for "Bear" (due to your name) as I always find the shoulder roast to be so damn fatty, and in need of too much trimming, but figured you were the "bear" guru.

Then, I looked at your hobbies, and then your avatar, and am BEYOND IMPRESSED! Did you actually CARVE that bear? (Sorry, I realize this is a food thread, but hey, credit is due).

Anyway, here's to bear, carved bear (both edible and not) and good things! Happy Monday!!!! Cheers! - Leah
Thanks Leah,

Funny you should mention that-----I have a Step by Step of carving a Bear, Too!!

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138637/a-bear-from-log-to-finish-picture-heavy

Bear

just in time for our kokanee snagging season.
sausage.gif
. excellent tutorial points given.

Last edited:

just in time for our kokanee snagging season.
sausage.gif
. excellent tutorial points given.
Thank You Very Much Thatcho!!!

My Son would love that snagging season!

Where he goes they watch closely, and if they catch somebody snagging, they kick them out & confiscate their equipment, so I've been told.

Bear

Yea, i have heard a few stories about that. I am gtateful to have some species of salmon in Colorado. I will post a video n pics.

Thanks for the brining recipe and instructions.  I have done two batches (one Copper River and one Atlantic farm raised).  Both were purchased frozen from Sam's and turned out well.  It was a pain getting the skin off the Copper River but the Atlantic came skinless and was much less expensive.  I reduced the soy sauce to 3 oz and added 3 oz of teriyaki when I smoked the Atlantic and it turned out fantastic.

Thanks for the brining recipe and instructions.  I have done two batches (one Copper River and one Atlantic farm raised).  Both were purchased frozen from Sam's and turned out well.  It was a pain getting the skin off the Copper River but the Atlantic came skinless and was much less expensive.  I reduced the soy sauce to 3 oz and added 3 oz of teriyaki when I smoked the Atlantic and it turned out fantastic.
Thank You!!

Glad you like it !!

I love Teriyaki, but at the time I didn't have any on hand. Wouldn't even hurt to go with the whole 6 oz being Teriyaki.

As for the filleting the skin off, I've been filleting fish for quite awhile, and it really helped slicing those big fillets in half lengthwise before filleting the skin off.

You could leave the skin on, but during all of my testing, I found a much better smoke flavor without the skin on.

Also:  Your fillet knife has to be very sharp.

Bear

Was planning on using this and cold smoking for a couple hours but can not seem to type the right question. So here they are.

1. Going to use Alder wood pellets in AMNTS. How long should i cold smoke for?

2. What other woods would one recommend for salmon?

My plan is to use Bears recipe and another one. Wanting to make candied salmon.

Was planning on using this and cold smoking for a couple hours but can not seem to type the right question. So here they are.

Hi Thatcho!!

I didn't use any cure in this Smoked Salmon:

If you use this brine, you should get it from 40* to 140* in no longer than 4 hours, to be safe. Then you could turn it down to get more smoke on it, before taking it to 145*-150*.

I didn't have any Alder when I did this, but I will try that next time.

Bear

Last edited:
Well Bear got good news and bad. Went seeking the salmon with the family last weekend which is was good. Bad part was weather did not work for us very windy and choppy waters did not allow us to sight any schools of kokanee. The good news is we were able to lure in the trout. Rainbow's, Brown's and even pulled in a couple Mackinaw. So i will be posting some q view this coming weekend of some smoked trout with your recipe. I will keep you posted. - Justin.

Well Bear got good news and bad. Went seeking the salmon with the family last weekend which is was good. Bad part was weather did not work for us very windy and choppy waters did not allow us to sight any schools of kokanee. The good news is we were able to lure in the trout. Rainbow's, Brown's and even pulled in a couple Mackinaw. So i will be posting some q view this coming weekend of some smoked trout with your recipe. I will keep you posted. - Justin.
Tough luck on the Salmon, but glad you got a mess of Trout !!! When you post the Trout smoke, don't let me miss it !  I hate missing Great posts!!!

Bear

Trout is better than salmon anyway
icon_biggrin.gif

I have used Bears method too with great success and we have really enjoyed the result. 

My usual method is to cold smoke my salmon before cooking - however rather than just for a couple of hours I cold smoke it overnight. After that you can then either cook it low or cook hot - I do both but actually prefer a quicker hot cook as I like my salmon to still be on the pink side when smoked and cooked. After the cold smoke it also freezes well - for cooking at a later time. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140785/smoked-fish-fillets-salmon-cod-and-haddock-q-view

If you cold smoke for longer - until the fillets lose 18-20% of their original un-brined weight - then voila you have traditional smoked salmon. This can take 24-48 hours in the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky