Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview

Discussion in 'Fish' started by bearcarver, Mar 24, 2010.

1. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thanks Leah,

Funny you should mention that-----I have a Step by Step of carving a Bear, Too!!

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138637/a-bear-from-log-to-finish-picture-heavy

Bear

2. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Great looking salmon Bear!

And thanks for the recipe!

Bill

3. bearcarver

Thank You Much, Bill !!!

Bear

4. Perfect! Everyone loved it.

5. bearcarver

That's Great 4dogs!!!

Glad it was a success!!

Bear

6. thatcho

thatcho Meat Mopper

just in time for our kokanee snagging season.[​IMG]. excellent tutorial points given.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  7. bearcarver

Thank You Very Much Thatcho!!!

My Son would love that snagging season!

Where he goes they watch closely, and if they catch somebody snagging, they kick them out & confiscate their equipment, so I've been told.

Bear

8. thatcho

thatcho Meat Mopper

Yea, i have heard a few stories about that. I am gtateful to have some species of salmon in Colorado. I will post a video n pics.

9. Thanks for the brining recipe and instructions.  I have done two batches (one Copper River and one Atlantic farm raised).  Both were purchased frozen from Sam's and turned out well.  It was a pain getting the skin off the Copper River but the Atlantic came skinless and was much less expensive.  I reduced the soy sauce to 3 oz and added 3 oz of teriyaki when I smoked the Atlantic and it turned out fantastic.

10. bearcarver

Thank You!!

Glad you like it !!

I love Teriyaki, but at the time I didn't have any on hand. Wouldn't even hurt to go with the whole 6 oz being Teriyaki.

As for the filleting the skin off, I've been filleting fish for quite awhile, and it really helped slicing those big fillets in half lengthwise before filleting the skin off.

You could leave the skin on, but during all of my testing, I found a much better smoke flavor without the skin on.

Also:  Your fillet knife has to be very sharp.

Bear

11. thatcho

thatcho Meat Mopper

Was planning on using this and cold smoking for a couple hours but can not seem to type the right question. So here they are.

1. Going to use Alder wood pellets in AMNTS. How long should i cold smoke for?

2. What other woods would one recommend for salmon?

My plan is to use Bears recipe and another one. Wanting to make candied salmon.

12. I used alder pellets but used Bear's process for hot smoking. It was great

13. bearcarver

Hi Thatcho!!

I didn't use any cure in this Smoked Salmon:

If you use this brine, you should get it from 40* to 140* in no longer than 4 hours, to be safe. Then you could turn it down to get more smoke on it, before taking it to 145*-150*.

I didn't have any Alder when I did this, but I will try that next time.

Bear

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. bearcarver

Thank You!!

I'm glad you liked it !!!

Bear

15. thatcho

thatcho Meat Mopper

Thanks a million, Just got some more pellets from Todd so anxious as always.

16. thatcho

thatcho Meat Mopper

Well Bear got good news and bad. Went seeking the salmon with the family last weekend which is was good. Bad part was weather did not work for us very windy and choppy waters did not allow us to sight any schools of kokanee. The good news is we were able to lure in the trout. Rainbow's, Brown's and even pulled in a couple Mackinaw. So i will be posting some q view this coming weekend of some smoked trout with your recipe. I will keep you posted. - Justin.

17. bearcarver

Tough luck on the Salmon, but glad you got a mess of Trout !!! When you post the Trout smoke, don't let me miss it !  I hate missing Great posts!!!

Bear

18. thatcho

thatcho Meat Mopper

Thanks Bear, i sure will.

19. smoker21

smoker21 Meat Mopper

Trout is better than salmon anyway [​IMG]

20. wade

wade Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have used Bears method too with great success and we have really enjoyed the result. 

My usual method is to cold smoke my salmon before cooking - however rather than just for a couple of hours I cold smoke it overnight. After that you can then either cook it low or cook hot - I do both but actually prefer a quicker hot cook as I like my salmon to still be on the pink side when smoked and cooked. After the cold smoke it also freezes well - for cooking at a later time. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140785/smoked-fish-fillets-salmon-cod-and-haddock-q-view

If you cold smoke for longer - until the fillets lose 18-20% of their original un-brined weight - then voila you have traditional smoked salmon. This can take 24-48 hours in the smoker.