Fettuccine Alfredo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
If I cannot get Fettuccine Alfredo in an Italian restaurant I usually try to rely on bottled sauces to my chagrin and disappointment.

Does anyone have a great homemade recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo?

Thanks in advance to all,

John

A stick of butter, cup of whipping cream, cup of parmesan, one egg yolk, all done slowly over low heat. It's only worth the heart attack if you are going to make fresh pasta from semolina flour. We most often use variations of Classico these days, decent flavor and much healthier. RAY

I'm afraid we just use the bottled stuff, Ragu usually.
I've looked at making my own sauce but it just seems like too much trouble.
By the time you add the Broccoli, Roasted Peppers, Mushrooms and spices it all works out.
We like "butterfly" pasta more than Fettuccini.
By coincidence, that's what's on the stove today....

Ray has you well covered. This is exactly how I make it and believe me, it's well worth the impending heart attack :emoji_laughing: Robert

That's about 2000 calories BEFORE putting a piece of pasta in your mouth. A jar of Classico has 720 calories, and that still ain't exactly diet food. Just sayin'. RAY

Reactions: JLeonard
That's about 2000 calories BEFORE putting a piece of pasta in your mouth. A jar of Classico has 720 calories, and that still ain't exactly diet food. Just sayin'.

This is one time where my metabolism serves me well. I can eat or drink as much of anything I want and not gain an ounce. My doctor is always yelling at me that my BMI is too low. He even suggested I drink a big chocolate malted milk shake every day to try and gain some weight. I took his advice...sort of. I like the idea of malt but just get it in a different form :emoji_wink:

Robert

This is one time where my metabolism serves me well. I can eat or drink as much of anything I want and not gain an ounce. My doctor is always yelling at me that my BMI is too low. He even suggested I drink a big chocolate malted milk shake every day to try and gain some weight. I took his advice...sort of. I like the idea of malt but just get it in a different form :emoji_wink:

Robert
[/QUOTE]

That is soooo unfair. I use to like you!
And yet I still love Alfredo sauce

Reactions: JLeonard

Robert
We're in the same boat, Robert. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, drink or smoke my weight doesn't change
and my BP, sugar and cholesterol stay in the safe zone.
One day it will catch up to us my friend.....

Post 12 is exactly how my Son does it . I asked him tonight and he said " Cream is American " I mentioned the pasta water , but really didn't know what else he did .
He told me butter , fresh grated parm and pasta water . Drops the pasta in the pan after the butter melts and builds the sauce .
ritchierich ritchierich I don't normally go along with " It's the only way " , in this case I completely agree .

A Lighter version...JJ

PASTA ALFREDO

1lb Pasta of choice
4Tbs Butter
4Tbs Flour
3Cups Milk, warm 5 min in the microwave. Whole but 2% works if you must.
Small Pinch Ground Nutmeg
1Cup Finely Grated Imported Parm Reggiano. Don't Skimp Here!
S & P to taste.

Bring water to the boil for Pasta.
Heat the Milk and set aside.
Drop the Pasta.
In a Sauce Pan melt the Butter, add the Flour and make a White Roux.
Whisk in the Hot Milk over Low/Med heat until no longer lumpy.
Check Pasta. Remove1 Cup Water and set aside.
Stir Bechamel continuously just until it begins to Simmer. Reduce heat to Low as possible.
Whisk in Parm Reggiano until well combined. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
Turn off heat.
Combine Sauce with Drained Pasta, adding reserved water if too thick.
Adjust seasoning and Serve.

1MoreFord,

You're correct. Authentic Italian Fettuccine Alfredo calls for only 3 ingredients.

Confidentially, after a long and tiring day at work yesterday my wife wanted nothing more that something simple and quick, and I chose to make Fettuccine Alfredo. As in the movie, I made it the way I always have using just Fettuccine, butter, and freshly grated Parmagiano Reggiano. That, served with a simple salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio, and all was good.

BTW, the 5 ingredients I use for carbonara are guanciale, eggs, black pepper, Pecorino Romano, and spaghetti. Another simple and quick Italian meal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1MoreFord
^^^^^ Yeah, I had an ole timer's moment and forgot the meat and pepper.:emoji_blush:

I understand. I'm familiar with that subject.

BTW, thanks for mentioning carbonara, something I haven't made in a long time. I'm picking up some guanciale, and maybe fresh pasta, later this week to make the dish this coming weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky