Fermented Summer Sausage Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Yup

Back to the ol recipe for SS

4 1/4lb chuck.
IMG_0627.jpg

Diced.
IMG_0628.jpg

3/4lb diced pork butt added to chuck
IMG_0629.jpg

Now fridge while i get all my ducks ready for a mixup.

Reactions: chopsaw
Doing a late night mix.
Got my dry ready.
fss.jpg

This is the salt, sugar, garlic powder, allspice, black pepper & ground coriander.
fss1.jpg

The dry mix added to the meat chunks.
fss2.jpg

Bag and fridge for tonight.
fss3.jpg

Tomorrow after grinding i will fold in the mustard seeds, dextrose and SE. Spray in the cure 1 followed by a spray in of the F-LC Then stuff into fibrous casings. The chubs will get a 24 hour ferment time.

Reactions: chopsaw
So you are mixing the #1 powder with water then spring it on the chunks after the grind? This allows you to get it mixed in better?

Warren

So you are mixing the #1 powder with water then spring it on the chunks after the grind? This allows you to get it mixed in better?

Warren

Yes i dissolve the cure with 1/4 cup distilled and then spray onto the ground meat, better surface coverage, mix. Doing the same with the bacto (last) then mix

Reactions: daveomak
I'm still learning. Cant let all these young whipper snappers get the jump on me.

Mix the bacto with cold distilled water and add last just before stuffing. Mix well. The spray bottle works great.
fss3.5.jpg

Grinder at the ready.
fss8.jpg

Here it is.
fss9.jpg

Now slightly crush the mustard seed, fold in the meat.
fss10.jpg

Use diff spray bottles for each of the cure, SE and bacto.
Here im spraying in the cure 1. This way gives full coverage onto the ground meat, mix in gently and repeat. Do this with the SE and bacto.
IMG_0650.jpg

Yes your mix will turn brown once the cure is added. Normal. The SE will activate during fermenting.
fssm1.jpg

fssm.jpg

Now stuffing into 2" fibrous. I tie the ends, hog rings slip.
fss13.jpg

Ok now way outta the norm for my fermentation. Place in a tub.
fss12.5.jpg

Now cover the chubs with clear wrap real good. Dont forget to add the small patty to the container you wrapped so you can check the Ph.
fss12.jpg

Now cover the chubs.
fss11.jpg

Ferment for 24 hours around 80-89* with the lid on. The temp and humidity will be perfect.
fss15.jpg

After fermenting you can smoke as normal.

BBL

Fermented Summer Sausage is hanging to dry, nice mild ferment smell.
IMG_0676.jpg

Next into the smoker starting at 130* with my PID.

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Had someone post a site showing how to make sausage. Said here this site may help you...BAAAAAHAHAHAHA. Ok

I dont probe my sausage. The probe in there is just for temp from my PID
IMG_0679.jpg

I'm still learning. Cant let all these young whipper snappers get the jump on me.

Mix the bacto with cold distilled water and add last just before stuffing. Mix well. The spray bottle works great.
View attachment 397256

Grinder at the ready.
View attachment 397254

Here it is.
View attachment 397257

Now slightly crush the mustard seed, fold in the meat.
View attachment 397258

Use diff spray bottles for each of the cure, SE and bacto.
Here im spraying in the cure 1. This way gives full coverage onto the ground meat, mix in gently and repeat. Do this with the SE and bacto.
View attachment 397259

Yes your mix will turn brown once the cure is added. Normal. The SE will activate during fermenting.
View attachment 397260

View attachment 397261

Now stuffing into 2" fibrous. I tie the ends, hog rings slip.
View attachment 397262

Ok now way outta the norm for my fermentation. Place in a tub.
View attachment 397263

Now cover the chubs with clear wrap real good. Dont forget to add the small patty to the container you wrapped so you can check the Ph.
View attachment 397264

Now cover the chubs.
View attachment 397265

Ferment for 24 hours around 80-89* with the lid on. The temp and humidity will be perfect.
View attachment 397266

After fermenting you can smoke as normal.

BBL

To be clear you use cure#1

OK, I'm a bit confused here. I will admit not a ton of experience making sausages, but I thought #1 cure still required some refrigerator time. You're saying you place in a tub for 24 hours at 80*+, is that correct? Then cooking? I'm intrigued to try this, as I love a bit of a fermented flavor.

SFLsmkr1,
This is one nice shot of sliced SS! Looks great! Like!
Questions for you, if you don't mind: from one of your picks it looks like you used 5mm plate to grind you meat... Am I correct?
Also, did you just wrapped you chubs in plastic and placed them in the plastic box with the lid on for fermentation? If so, this is very interesting... No dedicated fermentation chamber needed... What was the final PH?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky