Fed up!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
I'm getting to the point where I can't deal with my MES40 anymore.
I'm so tired of babysitting it to add chips every 30 minutes.
I use an AMNPS, but getting that thing to keep smoking and not go out is a chore unto itself.
Love smoking, but this is making me crazy.
Currently have a brisket in it that I started an hour ago (will post a thread for it). I know the AMNPS is out already and it's 9:00pm. So I guess I'll be up all night to load the world's tiniest chip tray over and over again.
Sorry, just frustrated.

Attachments

• 20230415_194211.jpg
    20230415_194211.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 16
Are you microwaving your pellets prior to lighting?
If using inside the MES, need to pull chip tube out most of the way for fresh air. Mailbox mod helps immensely
Yes, usually for about 1:30

I sometimes leave the tray out completely but didn't tonight. Maybe that's the difference now.

Reactions: JLeonard
I had to oven roast my pellets for a couple hours to get them to stay smoldering in a tube.
No exerience with a MES
As Winterrider Winterrider stated, you need air to keep the pellets burning
I use the tube on my grill and the tray (maze) in the smoker.
I align it so the lit side is closest to the tray door and the maze long lines are perpendicular. If that makes sense lol.

If you're not using a mailbox mod with your MES, then I highly recommend you do so. I've been using one with my MES 30 for years and would never go back to trying, and failing miserably, to be able to put the AMNPS inside the MES and have it stay lit..
I nuke the pellets for 2 goes of 2 minutes each, then load them directly into the AMNPS--they're still hot. Then I light the pellets and let them burn (lots of flames) for 10 mins out in the open. Then I blow on the burning pellets until I get a nice big cherry, blow out the fire, and put the AMNPS in the mailbox. Leave the chimney damper on your MES wide open while smoking (I literally NEVER close mine). Your pellets should then burn for hours of great thin blue smoke.
Gary

I had to oven roast my pellets for a couple hours to get them to stay smoldering in a tube.
No exerience with a MES
As Winterrider Winterrider stated, you need air to keep the pellets burning
I use the tube on my grill and the tray (maze) in the smoker.
I align it so the lit side is closest to the tray door and the maze long lines are perpendicular. If that makes sense lol

If you're not using a mailbox mod with your MES, then I highly recommend you do so. I've been using one with my MES 30 for years and would never go back to trying, and failing miserably, to be able to put the AMNPS inside the MES and have it stay lit..
I nuke the pellets for 2 goes of 2 minutes each, then load them directly into the AMNPS--they're still hot. Then I light the pellets and let them burn (lots of flames) for 10 mins out in the open. Then I blow on the burning pellets until I get a nice big cherry, blow out the fire, and put the AMNPS in the mailbox. Leave the chimney damper on your MES wide open while smoking (I literally NEVER close mine). Your pellets should then burn for hours of great thin blue smoke.
Gary
Guess I need to look into this.

For what it's worth I light pellets in the AMNPS and let it burn for a few minutes, then blow it out, then blow on it again to get fire again, and repeat a couple times. Then into the MES.
Maybe the mailbox is my only option.
I'll do a search, or if anyone has a good link on how to make it?
Thanks again everyone.

I have my MES 30 set up like this .
1681611031612.jpeg
I use a 12 " tube in the mailbox and get 6 to 8 hours burn time .
I have it dialed in for air flow . The diameter and length of the hard duct , plus the 4 " stack on the exhaust are all a part of that . The Pipe is removable , and you can see how hard it draws .
1681611228582.jpeg
I use mine for low temp smokes , like hams and sausage . If I do higher temp smokes I actually burn wood chunks .
1681611398277.jpeg

They burn nice and clean .
1681611441867.jpeg

Reactions: pi guy and JLeonard
Not sure how safe it is, but I used to put chunks next to the heating element. They smolder longer than just chips. Also, all though constant smoke is nice, there used to be a philosophy that the first and last hour of smoke were what mattered the most. When I had MES40 I followed that technique more than once with good results.

Keep at it! Post some pics!

It’s a little less work and a tad more money, but you can get a MES smoke generator on Amazon and a straight drain pipe for an easier “mail box mod”. This is one I did and still use the setup for cheese. I did end up spray painting the pipe silver for cold smoking to reflect sunlight.

Not sure how safe it is, but I used to put chunks next to the heating element. They smolder longer than just chips. Also, all though constant smoke is nice, there used to be a philosophy that the first and last hour of smoke were what mattered the most. When I had MES40 I followed that technique more than once with good results.

Keep at it! Post some pics!
Thanks.

Yes, will do for sure!

GaryHibbert GaryHibbert has you covered he's a pretty good guy and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you PM'ing him with any questions and he can help you out and get that thing smoking very well with the amazen you have

Reactions: pi guy
The tray can be a little finicky but a tube is like never fail. I got KOs at Menards. I bought 2 and did u bolts for them. Good for around 6hrs. https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/grilling-tools/smoker-tube/by41101/p-6698461258741837-c-1461078035988.htmv

If you are brewing in the area where the pellets are stored you might be adding more moisture to them than typical but otherwise I think no need to nuke etc. I get mine going once I turn smoker on and it's warming up. I use a MAPP torch and hit for 10s 2-3x about 5m apart. Properly lit it should be on fire and need to be blown out before going into smoker. Paint strip gun works well too.

I went mailbox but woulda did ammo box if I did it again. Love it mainly since it does not not disturb the chamber temps when adding another. I attached MB directly to smoker as I like to store MES in garage when not in use.

If you want to keep the MES that definitely go with the mailbox mod. If you like the results when the MES and tray does work then you might consider a pellet grill. Lot's to choose from but as usual you normally get what you pay for i.e. stay with a well known and a highly positive reviewed unit. I would suggest looking at RecTeq.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky