Feb. 2021 Fiocco di Prosciutto is ready...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Been a LOOOONG wait! I started both a Culatello and Fiocco from a Hampshire Hog I bought for $100 way back in Feb. 2021. Figured this would be a good opportunity to try making a Culatello and the smaller muscle group- the Fiocco. They have been maturing for 21 months. The Fiocco had a final weight loss of 50.5% so it was time to pull it and see what I got. Starting weight was 1,904g. and the finished weight ended at 948g. (The blueish green mold is likely late stage of P. Nalgiovense or P. Salamii mold and from my research it is fine)
IMG_20221118_091537.jpg

IMG_20221118_091528.jpg

Outer surface cleaned with a brush and white wine, then trimmed with a bone knife to remove the outer mold covered surface and most of the yellowed surface fat.
IMG_20221118_091810.jpg

IMG_20221118_095023.jpg

On a plate with a wine soaked towel for 24 hours for rehydration (traditional preparation for the cut)
IMG_20221118_094914.jpg

IMG_20221119_133020.jpg

IMG_20221119_133029.jpg

The cut...
IMG_20221119_133207.jpg

IMG_20221119_133227.jpg

I have the two halves vac sealed and back in the chamber @55*F for equalization of moisture reabsorbtion. Will slice in 3-4 weeks for Christmas parties.

Taste notes (yes I did cut two sample slices):
Depth of flavor unlike anything I have ever tasted! Intense nutty umami....buttery...and subtly sweet. Complex flavor I simply can not describe fully. Dense flavor bomb. The taste lingers on the palate for at least 20 minutes. And this was not a good salumi hog because it was not fed correctly! I can not wait to taste how good the Culatello from the Berkshire pig that WAS fed correctly will taste!!

Upon slicing, the center did have an opening where white mold grew. This was more than likely caused by retrussing when applying the sugna layer. The original shape was more like a ball and I reshaped it when I retrussed it thus likely causing a tear in the center....

I learned A LOT doing this piece and it has been invaluable for proper drying of subsequent projects.

Last edited:
Wow! It is so difficult to find quality Italian meats. I’m jealous and impressed!

I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like, but that cut shot looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks seriously great. I'll be interested to see a pic after it has equalized for a bit.

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks awesome !!

Looks amazing and I can only imagine what the flavor profile must be like. That is a long time to wait.

Wow! It is so difficult to find quality Italian meats. I’m jealous and impressed!

I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like, but that cut shot looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks seriously great. I'll be interested to see a pic after it has equalized for a bit.

very nice, looks so good! congrats!

Looks great! You really take stuff to another level.

Amazing. Looks awesome!!!

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks Guys! The sugna layer was applied when 23% weight was lost and stayed on for a year when it weighed 38%. The piece then lost another 18% in the last 4 months.
I'll be pulling the Feb. 2021 Cuatello later today to clean and soak with white wine.

Such beautiful color!! You are an artist!
Thank you sir!

That is awesome man, you are a patient person… Very nice project!
Thanks Justin. Time is the most important ingredient behind salt....
Good things come to those who wait. That looks fantastic, it really does...
Thanks GS! Culatello is trimmed and covered in a wine soaked towel now. Will sit for 2 days of rehydration before the slice.

Amazing as usual!! It would take me awhile to get past the mold. Kind of like it took me awhile to become comfortable with fermenting. These type meats are on my short to do list although nothing as complex as yours.

Been a LOOOONG wait! I started both a Culatello and Fiocco from a Hampshire Hog I bought for $100 way back in Feb. 2021. Figured this would be a good opportunity to try making a Culatello and the smaller muscle group- the Fiocco. They have been maturing for 21 months. The Fiocco had a final weight loss of 50.5% so it was time to pull it and see what I got. Starting weight was 1,904g. and the finished weight ended at 948g. (The blueish green mold is likely late stage of P. Nalgiovense or P. Salamii mold and from my research it is fine)
View attachment 649329
View attachment 649332
Outer surface cleaned with a brush and white wine, then trimmed with a bone knife to remove the outer mold covered surface and most of the yellowed surface fat.
View attachment 649330
View attachment 649335

On a plate with a wine soaked towel for 24 hours for rehydration (traditional preparation for the cut)
View attachment 649328
View attachment 649324
View attachment 649325
The cut...
View attachment 649326
View attachment 649327
I have the two halves vac sealed and back in the chamber @55*F for equalization of moisture reabsorbtion. Will slice in 3-4 weeks for Christmas parties.

Taste notes (yes I did cut two sample slices):
Depth of flavor unlike anything I have ever tasted! Intense nutty umami....buttery...and subtly sweetness. Complex flavor I simply can not describe fully. The taste lingers on the palate for at least 20 minutes. And this was not a good salumi hog because it was not fed correctly! I can not wait to taste how good the Culatello from the Berkshire pig that WAS fed correctly will taste!!

Upon slicing, the center did have an opening where white mold grew. This was more than likely caused by retrussing when applying the sugna layer. The original shape was more like a ball and I reshaped it when I retrussed it thus likely causing a tear in the center....

I learned A LOT doing this piece and it has been invaluable for proper drying of subsequent projects.
Wow that is absolutely fabulous!!!
If ANYONE attempts to waste or throw any of that out be sure to whack them with a stick! I cringe when people waste and throw away charcuterie knowing they have no clue how much time, effort, and craft was put into making it!

Great job!

Incredible! This is so far above my skill level. I hope all who partake in its consumption have half a clue of what they are enjoying!

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky