FathersDay

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heidiray

Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I am looking for some advice from experts. My husband and I have been saving for a wood pellet smoker/grill; I am planning to purchase one for him for Father's Day. We would be newish to the smoking aspect but not the grilling as we live off our current grill and fire pit. We occasionally have ranch events where I will be looking to cook ribs/prime rib/ brisket for 30-40 people but most of the time it will just be our family (usually 5-10 people), and my husband and I eating from it.

Being as we don't make large purchases lightly, and there has been a lot of interest (poor reviews) on pellet grills I was looking for some honest feedback- although I know grilling/smoking is mostly all personal preference. I am looking for honest feedback and ideas as to what brands to really look into.

Currently on my radar:

Louisiana Grills (possibly the LG900) I noticed Louisiana also has another line called Country Grills (CS 570) however their website is really lacking in information as to what would be different between the two lines (actually their verbiage is depressingly exactly the same).

Things I like that differ from others:

-adjustable flame broiler

-meat thermometer

RecTec Wood Pellet Grill (RT-680)

I have heard that these are the Cadillac of pellet grills; they are slightly out of the price range I was looking at spending.

-larger pellet hold (unsure if this is actually needed- also the hopper is in the back and every other grill I have looked at has it from the side.... unsure if this is a good thing or not.)

-has a cold smoker option- unsure if we would use this.

-it looks like I could add a searing kit (would this be similar to the adjustable flame broiler?)

Green Mountain Pellet Grills (Jim Bowie- WIFI)

So WIFI/app grilling control really sounds super interesting.... like maybe I could be out riding horse miles away gathering and check on the meat and see if it's for sure going to be done when the crew hits the corrals...

-WIFI control

-Firebox - unsure if this is a common thing or if this company just makes a big deal about it but it sounds like something that will not break down as easily as other mechanisms.

-sloped pellet hopper design- again unsure if this is common or just something this company makes a point to advertise.

So really I am looking for experience advice- anyone have any of these grills/brands and likes them recommend them?? You are probably more savvy in this field of grilling- are these companies reputable?

Are there other companies that are better?

I do not want to hear anything about Traeger- I have pretty much written them off my list you would have to be very very convincing, we have neighbors who love theirs however it just doesn't have some of the options I want and for my money I feel like I can get better.

Any ADVICE is very welcome!!

Hello HeidiRay, I am no expert but have done a lot of research as well, I like the fact that you can sear a steak on some of these, The biggest thing I would suggest is customer service reviews and product reviews in that order. To me the product is only as good as the customer service. I looked long and hard at the Green Mountain grills, That was the way I was going but being in Canada our dollar exchange was terrible so I backed off as this is something I want to take to work with me so there might be some abuse. I ended up going the Pit Boss route which was a better price ( if I broke it I wouldn't feel as bad as long as I could fix it) I believe it is also made by Louisiana I believe, (Same corporate office up here). I have used a different one in the past, but that is the way I was leaning. Both are built well and work good and will sear a steak. my 2 cents. Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

Reactions: heidiray
Not sure if you've considered all of the options, there are quite a few mfg/models out there now. How often are you going to be using it? What is your price range? Are you going to grill hot and fast, or just low and slow? Do you want stainless? Storage? Made in USA? 

As far as RecTec being 'the Cadillac', if you mean middle of the road, then sure.

Here's a list I put together:
MFGNo. of Models
Black Earth (Hybrid)1
Blaz'n2
Brinkman2
Cabelas (made by Camp Chef)2
Camp Chef6
Chargriller1
Cook Shack5
Danson( LG and CS )12
Englander1
Firecraft1
GMG3
Grizzly1
HomeComfort1
Kuma1
Landmann?
Mak3
Memphis (Hearthland)4
Pellet Pro2
Pit Boss8
Pitts and Spitts2
Rec Tec2
Royall8
Sawtooth2
Smoke Hollow1
Smokin Brothers8
Smoke-N-Hot5
Teton?
Traeger23
WoodMaster2
Yoder3

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky