Fathers Day Brisket went out overnight on PitBoss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cjstewar

Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
I pulled a 13 lb. brisket out around 11pm last night and proceeded to get it rubbed and get my smoker going at 200 Degrees. I put the brisket on around 12 and stayed up until about 2am which I checked it again at to make sure it was still going. After checking this I went to bed and woke up at 7am. I went outside and found my auger had filled my pot with pellets and fire was out. I checked meat Temps and I was around 140-145 degrees in the thicker areas of the brisket and closer to 125-135 degrees in the thinner areas. I've already continued on with the smoke but am curious if it should be safe as I have no doubt it made it out of the danger zone. Thoughts? Advice?

You’re good, keep going and show us some pics when it’s done.

Feel like I should copy / paste this post a few times!

Reactions: PPG1
You are safe to continue. Sorry about the auger jam. That is one of the many reasons I only have offsets. No problems like this and you don’t need to worry about power outages. And no you don’t have to babysit a good offset. I can go 4 hours before needing to add wood.

Reactions: PPG1
You’re good, keep going and show us some pics when it’s done.

Feel like I should copy / paste this post a few times!
Yeah this is a common problem. It would be interesting to see which of these three is the most popular here:
1 pellet smoker issue
2 electric went out while sleeping
3 inkbird probe issues

Yeah this is a common problem. It would be interesting to see which of these three is the most popular here:
1 pellet smoker issue
2 electric went out while sleeping
3 inkbird probe issues
The smoker went out seems to be very popular the last couple of weeks. Hard to get too annoyed with it as we all were inexperienced at one time! But I do feel a little bit like it’s Groundhog Day.

Appreciate everyone's assistance! I've now wrapped and am continuing on. Here's how it looked after pulling to wrap.

Attachments

• 20210620_083757.jpg
    20210620_083757.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 7
Keep on keeping on!

In the meantime.. do you know why the auger jammed? Damp pellets? What kind of pellets are you running? Did it damage the auger? Has this ever happened before?

As everyone above has said, keep going. The brisket will be fine.
However, for future overnight smokes, use a good digital probe thermometer that you can program for high and low alarms for monitoring the chamber temp.

You are safe to continue. Sorry about the auger jam. That is one of the many reasons I only have offsets. No problems like this and you don’t need to worry about power outages. And no you don’t have to babysit a good offset. I can go 4 hours before needing to add wood.
are you running charcoal? best i get is 1 hour maybe 1.5 hours

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky