Fat smear

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
If some of you read my "Mushy Kielbasa" thread last week you will know I had some issues.
I have since rectified those issues with a fresh batch of Kielbasa this past weekend.

My question is this.

If by chance fat smear does happen to any one of us, is it possible to rectify it before stuffing, or is the meat a lost cause and there is no fix prior to stuffing and cooking.

If some of you read my "Mushy Kielbasa" thread last week you will know I had some issues.
I have since rectified those issues with a fresh batch of Kielbasa this past weekend.

My question is this.

If by chance fat smear does happen to any one of us, is it possible to rectify it before stuffing, or is the meat a lost cause and there is no fix prior to stuffing and cooking.

I doubt that it could be corrected. The meat texture is at that point compromised. IMHO

If you freeze the sausage it will grind perfectly. If the fat starts to smear, no worries. I have had that happen to me too & it really didn't affect the overall sausage taste or consistency. The whole key is to keep the meat almost frozen before you grind it. If your going to double grind the sausage, just put it in the freezer after the first grind for 45 minutes to an hour,then do the second grind. That way the fat will stay together, also if you have a cold pack that fits on your grinder throat that really helps keep the meat cold.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky