Fat side up or down on butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fat side up or down for a butt on direct heat smoker. (uds,BGE)

• Up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lookwow

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Menasha WI
I know there are topics about it just want to see where people poll. Normally i do them up but might try something different this weekend.

I do all my meat with the fat up as I like the juices to seep through it;however, take a look at Al's thread on the ham he did. I will try that sometime so I may save time at the table

439.gif

Have fun and,

For me it depends on which unit I'm using. If it's the Lang then it fat side up. If it's the GOSM, the ECB or the electric UDS it's fat side down to act as a buffer on the occaional heat spike-maybe not so much with the electric but then habits are hard to break.
biggrin.gif

I have always cooked butts on my WSM with the fat side up, I am with the train of thought that as the fat cap begins to melt it will help keep the meat juicier. Plus I feel like it can't hurt to have the exposed side of the shoulder bombarded with rising smoke!

Depends on the shoulder. Fat side down if there's enough marbling in the cut I'm smoking and vice-verse if not. I've never had a bad one though!
36.gif

Kent

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky