Fastest brisket in the west?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Hadn't had a chance to smoke anything in a long time. The fever finally took over and with a break in the hectic summer schedule threw on a brisket and some stuffed porkloins.  

The brisket is a mystery to me.  Woke up 3:30 and had the just under 9 pound brisket on by 4:30.  Using mix of hickory and cherry chunks smoker ran around 245-250 with some minor ups and downs in between.  Decided to put temp probe in at 7:30 and much to my surprise it was already approaching 180 IT.  Temp continued to climb steadily and by 11:00 most areas were registering around 200 IT.  Had one little spot that wasn't quite probe tender so let it go until 11:30.  So brisket was on for 7 hours, which means it got done about 5 hours sooner than I anticipated.  Into a cooler it went with foil and towels for 6 hours.  

Flavor was really good, was nice and tender, was a little over cooked in my opinion.  A tad dry.  I've just never had a brisket cook even remotely that fast.  Only thing I can think of was being a very warm morning may have helped speed things up.  I'm at a loss for an explanation to why this brisket cooked as fast as it did.

Tried my hand at some burnt ends as well.  They could have stood to be smoked a tad longer but they tasted great.

Pork loins were stuffed with cream cheese, smoked gouda, red and green bell peppers, jalepenos, and mushrooms.  Smoked for a little over 4 hours and were very tasty.  I was way overdue for a smoke and now it is on to the next one!

That brisket looks great!  So do the loins!  Nice smoke!

points1.png

Mike

I'm pretty confident that the temp probe was working.  There is usually a temp difference of about 25 degrees between the smoker's thermometer and my thermaprobe and that was consistent the whole smoke.  Smoker showed just shy of 220 and probe average about 245.  I guess I better smoke some more brisket to really get to the bottom of this.  Oh damn.

I cooked a 8lb brisket today and it was done in 6 1/2 hrs. I wrapped it at 160 and went to 205 pretty quickly. I inserted probe to check and it went in like a hot knife through butter. Just add more fuel too so now there is chicken thighs on the smoker lol

It's a custom built offset wood burner that my late brother in law built.  Was passed on to me after his death.  Try to use it as much as possible.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky