Farming season has ended

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martin1950

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Hartford. S/W Michigan
Well the harvest season is done for the commercial vegetable farmers here in S/W Mi. The peppers, squash, and eggplants are done, untied, stakes pulled, plants chopped, plastic pulled up and the fields are reploughed. The last of the farm laborers across the street leave today. My neighbor runs about 300 acres so he hires a lot of legally imported workers. This year he put the fear of god into them about the crazy old man across the street so they better be quiet or be fired (or shot). And it worked. So I'm paying it back to him and his sons family by doing up this little chunk of pork into apple sweet PP. Just a little mustard, Tony's creole, brown sugar and apple juice over apple pellets at 225* until stall, then panned and rapped for the dripping juice. This will be my 1st. long cook with my Hy-Bred 820D w/ my Alpha controller. Gotta make it good because he keeps my driveway open during the winter even if it takes his dozer. This chunk will go into a cooler for a two day thaw when I go out to my garage for my next cup of Joe and a smoke. This should be interesting.

Well my 1st. long cook (12 1/2 hrs.) on my Hy-Bred pit is in the books and I'm quite pleased. The new Alpha controller did just what it was advertised to do. 8hrs on mode 2 for the smoke and 4hrs on mode 1 for the finish.
20191031_161010_resized.jpg
20191031_161946_resized.jpg
20191031_165123_resized.jpg

That looks great, I'm sure they will love it.
Maybe you can mix up a few Ball jars of pepper vinegar or a finishing sauce to go along with the meat. I'd include a loaf of white bread with each care package as well, it's cheap but thoughtful and I think they would dig that.:emoji_sunglasses::emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: martin1950
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky